CD48065 - "Fat Albert" C-130T

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to build this airplane accurately, which kit would you need to get? The kit is currently available as the C-130 J , and the box art shows the new curved props. On ebay it looks like you could track down the E/H kit in a Testors box fairly easily. If you were unable to get an older issue, is the J model externally close enough to stand in with different propellors? I firmly believe there is "no kit too large" and have always thought it would be fun to build a 1/48th Herc.

Thanks for another awesome sheet KursadA!

If you want to build this airplane accurately, which kit would you need to get? The kit is currently available as the C-130 J , and the box art shows the new curved props. On ebay it looks like you could track down the E/H kit in a Testors box fairly easily. If you were unable to get an older issue, is the J model externally close enough to stand in with different propellors? I firmly believe there is "no kit too large" and have always thought it would be fun to build a 1/48th Herc.

Thanks for another awesome sheet KursadA!

The E/H kit is the one you'd want to go with. It even has that "domed" antenna in the kit.

The "J" kit is basically the same but of course the props are different as are the engine nacelles, the "J" nacelles are deeper (bigger oil cooler on their motors???).

The Italeri/Testors C-130E/H is the right kit to use - there are a few changes (mostly some antennas here and there) that I will try and cover in the reference pages.

An update on the discussion about the "Blue Angels" script style we discussed earlier: While designing the instruction sheets, I looked at photos of the aircraft from its entire timeline in Blue Angels service. This particular airframe became "Fat Albert" in late 2002, and it seems to have carried the modernized-style "Fat Albert" script all the way from 2002 until it went into maintenance in late 2012. A regular gray Marines C-130T ("Ernie") temporarily served with Blue Angels until May-June of 2013, when Fat Albert reappeared with the "classic" script. Clearly they reverted to the older style during the repaint. As I mentioned earlier, the sheet gives you both options, but the crew names depict the aircraft as it appeared in July 2011 or March 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some recent pics of 'Bert. Looks like the script is back to the earlier style "A" and "L".

Anyone know what it might say on the entrance step?

10320538_10203287886253178_3743070276388701028_n_zps89e44bc6.jpg

*Regarding the entrance door top step, I talked with a friend of mine from one of my previous squadrons over the weekend who is currently a team member. He told me it says "All Aboard!"...just in case anyone wanted to add that little detail to their build.

When will 'Bert be back up and flying? I was at the Offutt AFB airshow this past weekend and she still wasn't back from her bird strike. The funny thing is my brother came out from Colorado and saw her flying around the eastern portion of the state and then heading north to Wyoming. When they Facebooked it, a BA who works on 'Bert posted that she was still in P'cola. Could there be two -130's painted up as Fat Alberts? My brother was positive it was 'Bert. As he said, it's kind of hard to mistake a large blue, yellow, and white C-130 for anything other than Fat Albert.