Revell or Zvezda 1/144 747-8

I haven't done an airliner in years and need a break from military aircraft, which is the better choice, Revell or Zvezda?, and if I don't want to do the Lufthansa markings on the Revell 747-8 are there any aftermarket decals for this kit. Thanks for your help, Rob

I don't have neither of these kits (I don't have room for 747's in my display shelf unfortunately) but I've heard and seen that both kits are very good, but the Revell kit is just a tad better in detail and accuracy.

Revell is about to release an -8f this spring or summer, and there already are a few aftermarket decal sheets available for both the -8i passenger and -8f freigther versions. Here's a few sites of civil airliner decal vendors:

www.drawdecal.com

www.26decals.co.uk

www.nazca-decals.de

www.f-dcal.fr

I have not seen in the box of the Revell kit but I have 2 Zvezda 747-8s. The engineering is very nice and it looks pretty good to me. Yes I have heard that Revell did a few things a bit better.

Decals are available from Draw Decal, 26Decals and Nazca so far. These are mostly for the 'f' but Draw Decal and 26 have a Lufthansa sheet for the Zvezda 'i' kit.

Hi All, I have 2 of the Zveda kit which isn,t that bad. but i would recommoned that you check your Zveda kit if you get one for any broken parts as i did have two sets of fan blades miss in action on both Part D trees of parts.

After notify them via their facebook i recevied two new Part D trees with all parts.

It took a bit over six weeks but they come through.

This happens to all model kit make at times.

Sean.

I havent bought the Revell 747-8 yet but i have had both Zvezda and Revells 787 and found them both fine

Richard

The Revell and Zvezda 787's are identical as they share the same mould (only Revell uses white plastic, Zvezda grey). Their 747-8's are totally different kits though Revell 'copied' Zvezda's see-through fan blade design.

Thanks guys for all your input. Like I said I need a break fro military aircraft. I did get the 1/144 Minicraft 707 320-B and I know it has gotten slammed for a horrible kit but I will use it just to cut my teeth back into airline modeling. Rob

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen the Revell 747-8 in person, but one huge plus on Zvezda airliners is their use of a one piece lower wing..

Also, if you want to do the house scheme, the Zvezda kit has the decals for it.

Zvezda negative is scribing is in scale, so it is so light you will hardly be able to see it once it is built and painted.