Ejection firing handles

I've always had trouble painting the yellow/black firing handles due to the minute painting involved, so I thought there had to be an easier way. I found it. It may take some time but you can make a lot in one go and store it for later use.

Take some round-section sprue, heat it and stretch it to the approximate firing handle thickness for the scale involved (1/32, 1/48 etc.). Now take a longish piece of this streched sprue and spray it yellow. Remember, you want to make a lot for future use. Let dry thoroughly. Now comes the fiddly part. Take some Tamiya tape and cut a very thin strip ,again depending on your scale ( 0.5mm for 1/48) with a sharp knife. Take this strip and wind it around your stretched sprue in the chevron/barber-pole pattern of ejection handles, making sure to leave gaps as wide as the strip in- between. This is easier as it sounds. Now spray the masked sprue black. Be careful not to spray too wet or the paint will seep under the tape. After the paint has dried thoroughly just remove the tape and you are left with a perfect yellow/black pattern as on the real thing. Just cut an appropriate length off, loop it around a toothpick or something and superglue the ends together and there you have it. Looks good too, try it!

If you can find some yellow sprue to stretch in the first place you can save yourself a step (I have some brightly coloured sprues from a Revell snap-together 'Smart Car' kit. Shhh...). I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble of masking the black stripes, couldn't you just paint them with a fine brush?

• 2 weeks later...

I made mine the "old" way: a strip of brass, shaped and soldered. Then the yellow paint. I hand-painted the black stripes with a 0.35mm Rotring rapidograph marker.

Note that the black strips spiral all around the wire: it one single line. Tricky to do, but looks pretty good.

Pierre

Photo of my current project: F-4J (1/32).

exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=10912408&w=774&h=1024

I haven't tried this, but I read somewhere that you take a piece each of yellow and black thread and twist them together, then rub them down with diluted white glue to hold them together.

I don't know how well it works, but it sounds good.

Mike

Twisting black and yellow thread works just fine. The white glue holds it all together and stops any fine, stray fibres from spoiling the effect. It is possible to make 15cm or more in one go which is an awful lot of ejection handles.

;)