kinetic 1/48 E-2C Hawkeye

Ok I seem to have the bug again so I decided to start my E-2C in 1/48. I have eduard interior and exterior sets for this build, I did buy decals but I have decided on the kit markings. I have not had much luck with PE in the past but I am taking my time with this build. I was nervous at hacking this kit up as it was a birthday present and it is not a cheap kit.

DSCF2136_zps5ade8e13.jpg

DSCF2137_zpsf6e10d10.jpg

Ok, that´s a excellent start, now you have my attention, I have the same kit on my stash, waiting their ticket to my workbench, maybe I will buy the FE from Eduard, I don´t know yet, once builded, almost nothing will see from outside, waiting for new updates...

The kit landing gear has held up fine on mine the past couple of years, so the metal replacements aren't necessary essential (Navy aircraft have the nice beefy landing gear). But if you don't want it to be a tailsitter, you need to add roughly a ton of noseweight. I had to pack all of the spare space forward of the main gear with lead so it stays on the nose wheels. It can be done, and then you have a model that feels like it is 1/48th the weight of the real thing.

The only noteworthy difficulty I had in construction was with the fuselage windows. They go in just fine, but they are very easy to pop back out later since they are exactly where you would grab the fuselage. And then you have to fish them back in place from the inside through the tail opening. If I build another E-2, I'll be taping some cardboard over those windows to protect them from being pushed out of their locations.

Chris

The only noteworthy difficulty I had in construction was with the fuselage windows. They go in just fine, but they are very easy to pop back out later since they are exactly where you would grab the fuselage. And then you have to fish them back in place from the inside through the tail opening. If I build another E-2, I'll be taping some cardboard over those windows to protect them from being pushed out of their locations.

Chris

Taping some cardboard behind them and painting it that ugly blue/green interior sound proofing color would not be any kind of inaccurate either. Each of those windows has a small inside shade/flap that closes over it to keep the "mole hole" nice and dark. They are more often than not closed up, even on deck to keep the heat in the back end down.