With my project for the StarFish GB all but complete, I'm starting my project for this GB. It will be an OOB build, including decals, of a JASDF F-86F-40 Sabre. I'm not sure which version I will build as the decal sheet has options for 10, I think, different aircraft.

I purchased this kit as part of a lot of 7 - 8 Sabres years ago. When I opened the box on this kit, there had been a bit of work started on it such as a few parts being glued together (intake, exhaust, cockpit assembly and wheels) and a few bits primed and painted (air brake wells). I apologize to the GB mods if this bit of pre-construction on someone else's part disqualifies me from participating in this build. If it does, please let me know and I'll cease and desist. In any event, this GB will allow me to complete a Sabre in something other than RCAF 3 colour camo or NMF.

BoxArt_zps525372a8.jpg

Decals_zpsde897e53.jpg

Parts_zps0a3083a8.jpg

Thanks for letting me play...maybe. :)

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Hi and welcome! Glad to see a JASDF Sabre in the GB, we don't see many builds of it compared to the Phantoms, Eagles, and F-2s.

Since the build was technically started by someone else, and the fact that the GB needs more activity, I'm going to say go for it.

Here are a couple of pages with lots of photos of JASDF F-86s, if you need the references:

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF861j.html

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF862j.html

No new photos but I have made some very good progress. The cockpit assembly is complete and the fuselage has been buttoned up. I have added ballast to the nose by adding three small steel fishing weights on top of the intake runner and securing them with CA glue. This is a photo from a previous Sabre build but it illustrates what I've done:

Weight1_zps156e53e4.jpg

Whoever started this kit before I got it also sanded off the vent on top of the fuselage and the vent unique to the JASDF Sabres on the right side of the fuselage near the speed brakes. This makes the model closer to a Sabre 6 than a JASDF Sabre but the previous owner / builder did not modify the wings so it retains the F-40 configuration with the 12' extensions.

Again, these are from a previous build of mine but it gives you an idea of what I'm referring to:

FiledVentLeft.jpg

All in all, the fuselage is closed up, the nose ring is on and the wings have been attached. The windscreen and canopy have been dipped in Future (yesterday) and are curing. The next step is to attach the gunsight. I'll then mask and attach the windscreen and canopy and it will be paint time.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

The windscreen and canopy have been masked and assembled. I also realized that the main gear doors were missing from the kit. I then realized I had scavenged them from this kit when I built my 434 'Bluenose' Sqn Sabre in 'The Living History' GB. D'OH! Thus, I had to fabricate a new set of gear doors. I used doors from another Sabre kit that I have as guides and made up a new set from sheet styrene. They're not perfect but they're a good representation.

With that, most of the major assembly has been done. It'll will be ready for paint soon.

ProgressRight_zps3113760b.jpg

ProgressLeft_zps9fe6b5bd.jpg

NewGearDoors_zps776d5025.jpg

Mike

The first coat of gloss black has been sprayed. I don't think there will be any more work until Friday. I will definitely be out of commission this afternoon and tomorrow.

Mike

I got kind of lazy regarding updates since my last post on 12 November. My project is now complete. It is definitely a three footer that will never win any contests and I'm okay with that. This build certainly had a couple of challenges in that it was a 'Builder's Special'.

The original builder had glued on drop tanks and they were the wrong ones for a JASDF Sabre. I removed them as gently as I could but as a result there were a couple of major holes and gaps to be filled. I didn't do as good a job with filling these divots as I thought I did. Covered with primer and flat black, I thought the results looked pretty good. The Alclad magnified the errors a thousand fold. Therefore, no photos of the bottom.

The kit decals were not too bad, which was quite surprising. Most of them went on extremely well. The large numbers on the nose were really good and quite thin; almost like aftermarket decals. Some of the smaller numbers on the vertical stabilizer shattered when I attempted to remove them from the sheet after soaking in water. Fortunately, there were plenty of numbers available and I was able to resolve the problem with other decals from the sheet. The national insignias and the checkerboards on the tail are a two part decal; coloured decal on top of white. They responded well to Solvaset. I have to say that these decals were quite ingenious. They gave you options for open or closed air brakes. Closed were one piece decals; red disc over white disc. Open were four pieces with white and red pieces for fuselage and air brake door. Very nice.

Painting was done with Model Master Enamels and Alclad. I had run out of EZ Masks for the canopy and windscreen so I masked with Tamiya tape. There was a bit of bleed through even though I applied a sealer coat of Micro Mask to the tape. No big deal. I sprayed the canopy frames with MM 36231. I then gave the model two mist coats of MM Gloss Black that I let cure for three or four days. I then applied the Alclad Aluminum at about 12 p.s.i. I had something happen with the Alclad that I have never had happen before. It bubbled / blistered and didn't fully adhere to the gloss black. Weird. I was able to fix that problem by breaking the bubble / blister and respraying. I then masked the gun blast panels and exhaust opening and sprayed Alclad Steel. I didn't do any of the multi hued finish with different shades of Alclad. It was too much of a hassle for this project. I must admit that this Sabre project didn't mean as much to me as any R.C.A.F. Sabre that I've built. This was a 'Builder's Special' that I just wanted to get done and this GB helped me achieve just that.

Here are the photos of my completed build. To the moderators, thank for allowing me to participate in this GB.

Done-RightFront_zps3d561d9f.jpg

Done-RightRear_zpsa2176e20.jpg

Done-LeftRear_zpsc45fc6f2.jpg

Done-LeftFront_zps2bf1a19e.jpg

Mike

Thanks W.W. This is probably the 20th or so 48th scale Hasegawa or Academy Sabre that I've built. Also, the fact that part of the assembly and some painting was already done helped improve the speed of the build.

Thank you for your consideration in allowing me to participate despite this kit being outside your established rules of engagement. I appreciate it.

Mike

Mike

I must admit after you mentioned in other correspondence to me that you were not entirely happy with the results on this one, I was expecting something much, much, worse. This one actually looks pretty good. Those scratch-built doors would fool most people, and the Alclad finish is not bad either, especially considering the bubbling troubles you had with it. That's the kind of thing that discourages many people, and if this had been mine, it may have ended up with an entirely different finish.

Well done, and quickly!

ALF

Thanks ALF. The decals managed to hide some of the boo boos, as did the lack of close up photos. The big thing is the underside of the wings, really. I'm glad the issues are not prone to public viewing. I follow your mantra about people looking at the underside of my models; only if she's a cute girl, wearing a low cut top...you get the idea. :lol:

I know the flaws are there, and while they might not be readily apparent, it's still a bit of a bummer. Thanks for your kind words and support, mon ami.

Mike

Ax, you built the Saber; with the scratch-made doors, of such great quality within 10 days! :woot.gif:

I wish I could do such work that quickly.

The doors took all of about 20 minutes thanks to having others to work from. Some of the building and painting had already been done prior to me getting the kit so that shaved off a bit of time too. As I noted earlier, this is probably the 20th or so 1/48 scale Sabre I've built. I've learned how things go together so I usually know what parts need a bit of extra work and that helps save tome too. I probably did a bit of constructing in my sleep too. :whistle:

Looking good!

Thanks for your kind words, gents. I appreciate your taking the time to stop by and offering your feedback.

Mike