Next Tamiya Corsair?

They didn't remove it for their 1/48 F4U-1D, and as noted, there's nothing in the way the sprues for the 1/32 kit are broken down to indicate that they intend to do so on it.

I don't have the figures in front of me at the moment, but IIRC it was present on about 1/3 of the first production batches of -1As, and was removed on subsequent batches, and was absent on all -1Ds. Dana Bell said it appears it may have been simply plated over on some -1As, so there's that. We'll have to wait for his forthcoming book on later hogs to find out the whole story.

They didn't remove it for their 1/48 F4U-1D, and as noted, there's nothing in the way the sprues for the 1/32 kit are broken down to indicate that they intend to do so on it.

I don't have the figures in front of me at the moment, but IIRC it was present on about 1/3 of the first production batches of -1As, and was removed on subsequent batches, and was absent on all -1Ds. Dana Bell said it appears it may have been simply plated over on some -1As, so there's that. We'll have to wait for his forthcoming book on later hogs to find out the whole story.

Things have changed with Tamiya since the 1/48 Corsairs were released.

We can discuss it all month, but we'll actually know when the -1D comes out. If you know anything about how injection molds are created and used, there is no indication that there is provision for a part without the light on it. But maybe we're completely wrong, and if so I for one will be extremely happy. I'm just not betting on it.

We can discuss it all month, but we'll actually know when the -1D comes out. If you know anything about how injection molds are created and used, there is no indication that there is provision for a part without the light on it. But maybe we're completely wrong, and if so I for one will be extremely happy. I'm just not betting on it.

That said, we are likely to see at least one new sprue for the -1D's, and if there's an FAA boxing new wingtips are needed (and ideally the small scoops unique to the FAA birds).

But I'd suspect the new -1D sprue will be weapons/pylons and prop blades, possibly also with the FAA wingtips.

A quick question if Tamiya had no intention of doing a -4 then why would they produce a background booklet which shows the -4 and not just finish the booklet with RN and -1D's.

Tamiya don't "waste" money and if someone says its just for our information they would of included the 5 through 7 and AU-1.

They tooled a Spit 16 because they could use the Merlin from the P-51D I will be highly surprised if they had zero intention of possibly doing it.

Doesn't mean they will like the two seat F-16 and slatted Phantom though.

They would sell a truckload more late Corsairs than Spit 16's..

Though Tamiya did make the tooling more complicated on their 1/72 P-47 to allow for the later versions, but that's never appeared.

Would love to see a -4 appear, as long as they scale it down to 1/48 scale as well, but Tamiya never seem to do that many versions of types. F-16D, A6M2 or P-47N anyone?

Edited by Tbolt

If there is going to be an FAA Corsair - I'll be in the market for at least two. Richie Cork and Ronnie Hay. At least it saves having to work out where the wingtip cut goes?.

I might even end up buying one, even though I don't really do 1/32.