Next Tamiya Corsair?

Santa was very good to me this year. I got the new -1a Corsair by Tamiya. Looking at the well done reference booklet there are sections about the birdcage, the -1a and the -4.

Now I know the -4 is a significantly different airplane and would require different sections for sure. But the emphasis was there.

So do you think its going to happen?? I'd love to see it as well as the possibility it might be scaled down to 48th scale.

I'd be extremely shocked if it were anything other than a -1D. A -4 would require a lot of retooling that I can't see them doing for a type that has no WWII combat record.

Agreed-- it's 99.99999999% going to be the D

As much as I'd love the -1D, I suspect we're gonna see a British Corsair. No inside information or anything, but that's where my guess is...

Cheers,

Dana

Aren't they the same as the American variants except for name, markings and camo? Clipped wing tips?

Edited by jwest21

Santa was very good to me this year. I got the new -1a Corsair by Tamiya. Looking at the well done reference booklet there are sections about the birdcage, the -1a and the -4.

Now I know the -4 is a significantly different airplane and would require different sections for sure. But the emphasis was there.

So do you think its going to happen?? I'd love to see it as well as the possibility it might be scaled down to 48th scale.

May I ask a related (And ambiguous) question regarding the Tamiya Corsair(s)?

How come said kits are so expensive ($200+USD) for the given size of the model?

Does it use as much plastic as a Tamiya F-4 or F-14 kits?

Maybe PE or premium decals included?

Just curious; Thanks.

It has some PE and has a lot of interior details. So far, I have used some of the stencils and they seem to be a lot thinner than Tamiya's regular decals. Why it costs what it does, I don't know. What I do know is this, the 32nd P-51 and Spitfire are hands down the best kits I have ever had the pleasure of working on. Compared to Trumpeters 32nf kits, these are better engineered, better fit, better accuracy and are much more detailed- you really can do these without aftermarket and have them look stunning. Also, the MSPR is 200. I bought my birdcage for $110 and the -1A for $139 shipped.

Edited by jwest21

I've mentioned this before, what I find interesting is that is Michael Potter's (owner of Vintage Wings of Canada) F4U-4 that he formally owned. The research for the Corsair was done in his facility and was based off his F4U-1D, which is also in the book.

But the markings on the F4U-4 were from after he sold it. So Potter must have put Tamiya in touch with the new owner.

Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfires and Mustang also had a lot of help from Potter.

Avspec, the owner of a flying Mosquito, announced on their Facebook page that Tamiya was developing a 1/32 Mossie kit based off of their aircraft. They posted pictures of Tamiya engineers measuring their aircraft in their hanger. Before any of this occurred, that same Mosquito visited Vintage Wings of Canada and was stored in their hanger for a period of time.

I find all these 1/32 Tamiya kit developments with ties to Michael Potter very interesting.

A quick question if Tamiya had no intention of doing a -4 then why would they produce a background booklet which shows the -4 and not just finish the booklet with RN and -1D's.

Tamiya don't "waste" money and if someone says its just for our information they would of included the 5 through 7 and AU-1.

They tooled a Spit 16 because they could use the Merlin from the P-51D I will be highly surprised if they had zero intention of possibly doing it.

Doesn't mean they will like the two seat F-16 and slatted Phantom though.

They would sell a truckload more late Corsairs than Spit 16's..

We can pontificate and speculate all month long, and that still doesn't mean Tamiay's going to do an F4U-4.

If they do, I'm the first one who will be happy and rejoice and be happy to say I was dead wrong.

But I'm not wrong. They'll do a -1D and possibly an RN bird, but not -4.

May I ask a related (And ambiguous) question regarding the Tamiya Corsair(s)?

How come said kits are so expensive ($200+USD) for the given size of the model?

Does it use as much plastic as a Tamiya F-4 or F-14 kits?

Maybe PE or premium decals included?

Just curious; Thanks.

Economics. Production cost: distribution, advertising, land, labor, capital, entrepreneurship, everything that goes into the production of the kit. Plus the tacked on % to generate the desired profit margin. The same reason a Mercedes runs for twice what a Cadillac runs; because the production cost, materials, and everything else involved with making and selling them costs more...which is why they are of superior quality.

I get it...not everyone has formal education in economics...but there seems to be this idea around forums that people like Tamyia can just upmark their stuff because their name is on it...that's never the case with any product...ever.

I'd be extremely shocked if it were anything other than a -1D. A -4 would require a lot of retooling that I can't see them doing for a type that has no WWII combat record.

The -4 certainly has a WW2 combat record, given it saw combat in the last 6 months of the Pacific campaigns.

That said, I do agree overall it's unlikely that we would see the necessary tooling for a -4, which would require all-new fuselage, engine & exhaust, cowling, and lower wings. Especially since Tamiya couldn't even be bothered to retool a single outer lower wing to remove the Birdcage-only landing light (the one consistent error on all their -1A and -1D kits)

We can pontificate and speculate all month long, and that still doesn't mean Tamiay's going to do an F4U-4.

If they do, I'm the first one who will be happy and rejoice and be happy to say I was dead wrong.

But I'm not wrong. They'll do a -1D and possibly an RN bird, but not -4.

I think there is a possibility they will do a -4. I wouldn't say strong, but I feel there are hints of it.

I knew about the 1/32 Spit IX roughly 3-4 months before it was released. My friends at Vintage Wings knew a full year earlier. The Mustang? The same people gave me heads up, this time a full year in advance; the same is true for the Corsair, although the Birdcage totally caught me off-guard. I didn't expect them to reverse engineer to that version, although I was very pleased to see that they had.

Without question Tamiya has a strong relationship with Vintage Wings. They will do a FAA release. For access at their facility Tamiya has a gentlemen’s agreement with Vintage to release a FAA version. The Sutton harness is already on the etched materials. The Japanese are a very honorable society, they will make good on this agreement. As well, Hammy Gray is the only allied airman with a memorial on Japanese soil. He is well respected in Japan.

I find it very intriguing that the F4U-4 Corsair formerly owned by Michael Potter is in the booklet. The pictures are of that Corsair after it was sold and repainted. Why would Tamiya fly to the States to only get pictures of this aircraft? And what part did Potter have in arranging for this to occur?

As I have already mentioned, I also see it as eye catching that the Aspecs Ltd Mosquito, which was announced on their Facebook page as being measured as Tamiya's next 1/32 kit, was transported across the pond from Australia and spent time in Canada at Vintage Wings PRIOR to this announcement. Once again, times with Vintage Wings.

A very well connected friend of mine to the hobby industry (totally independent of my friends with Vintage, told me that the 1/32 Tamiya Mossie is the worst kept secret on the internet. This was before I knew of the Facebook announcement by Aspec.

This time around my pals at Vintage have dropped me "zero" hints. But one of them has had a huge grin anytime I ask about the Mossie visit.

Because that's how much Tamiya chooses to charge for them. That's the bottom line.

I am not so sure it is Tamiya charging him as I bought my first two at $130.00 Cdn each, including shipping from Japan. Which at today's exchange rate to US is $111.00.

It is the distributors who increase the price.

The -4 certainly has a WW2 combat record, given it saw combat in the last 6 months of the Pacific campaigns.

That said, I do agree overall it's unlikely that we would see the necessary tooling for a -4, which would require all-new fuselage, engine & exhaust, cowling, and lower wings. Especially since Tamiya couldn't even be bothered to retool a single outer lower wing to remove the Birdcage-only landing light (the one consistent error on all their -1A and -1D kits)

Are you certain they won't remove it for the D?

Dana posted the number of A's that still had the landing light, I don't recall the exact number although it was roughly the first 200-400 1A's. I think it is correct for all the decal option offered in the kit.

Are you certain they won't remove it for the D?

Dana posted the number of A's that still had the landing light, I don't recall the exact number although it was roughly the first 200-400 1A's. I think it is correct for all the decal option offered in the kit.

Given the breakdown of the sprue's, I wouldn't expect it, unless they decide to put it as the core of the D sprues.