Black Hawk "The Fighter" 1:35 scale

Heavy,

you mean to go flush with the outside fuselage door frame?. can u show where to trim with photos. I am not sure I get it. Love to fix what needs to be done before closing up fuselage.

The box I am talking about is where the cargo hook part attaches on the underside of the floor. Trim the box down by about 1/16" and the floor will sit properly in the fuselage.

The box I am talking about is where the cargo hook part attaches on the underside of the floor. Trim the box down by about 1/16" and the floor will sit properly in the fuselage.

I did what HeavyArty suggested now the floor fits a lot better. I am still thinking about doing some locator tabs before I close the two fuselage parts to the cabin. More updates soon

Richard

I started to finish my roof. There are more boxes and a lot more wiring to go into my roof but this is what I have done so far.

IMG_1402_zps071b2cc1.jpg

IMG_1400_zpsc827ea7d.jpg

I didn't want to detail the roof too much. The things that I was trying to calculate is where are all my my wires are going and what are they going into. But I will add more wires, boxes etc to the roof when I start the roof again.

NOW comes the dreaded HOLE underneath the pilots in the Black Hawk. Now why do I call it "dreaded" is because I have tried to make boxes out of styrene before and they never turned out right. Maybe becasue my measurements were not exact, but the boxes that I wanted to make, didn't turn out to be boxes.. :bandhead2:

To handle this task ahead, I took two pieces of wood (I got from Michaels art store), Glued them together and made sure that they were at 90 degrees and then glued them together. Then I put two pieces of flexible magnets on the face of the two parts. Then I am using magnets, small magnets, to hold the two pieces together and viola, the box is made.

Here is the gidget that I created.

IMG_1356_zps4faebef8.jpg

IMG_1358_zps4647a063.jpg

Then I use the small magnets to hold the pieces of the box or whatever you are trying to build and it acts like a extra set of hands. I don't know if it will work for you but it is very useful for me.

IMG_1363_zpse9be551a.jpg

IMG_1369_zps8eda6a2a.jpg

More updates when I get home from work. By the way. Let me know if the pictures are too big and I will make them smaller.

Richard

Does anybody have any measurements on where under the seats you make the cuts?

And how in the world do you measure and cut the pieces needed to glue to the floor at the side of the tail rotor pedals?(behind the chin windows).

Tim

Cut the floor First after careful measuring then make the boxes. It will be easier that and will give u more room to play.

Oliver

I always try to do the boxes before the floor. Maybe that is my problem. I will follow what you said Oliver, maybe I will get better results. Maybe my fingers are too big. LOL.

I will keep you guys updated when I get home. I see the work that you are doing Oliver on your MH-60, amazing work sir.

Richard

U migbt be able to do without making boxes.

Cut your floor first then use precut strips to the depth u want then glue strips to underneath in a square manner then add a piece of styrene sheet over the precut strips to simulate bottom of box.

if this doesnt make sense , let me know i will post fotos how to do it

Oliver

Actually, the holes under the seats are not fully boxed in. The area is an open shelf with electronic boxes and wires that go across between the two openings. I cut out the area roughly the size of the seat, between the side rails. Then I make a shelf by making an L-shaped platform with the vertical part of the L to the front and the base of the L extending below the floorboard behind the step in the floor. Then make half wall supports on the inner openings where the center console is. Hope that make sense.

Edited by HeavyArty

Actually, the holes under the seats are not boxed in. The area is an open shelf with electronic boxes and wires that go across between the two openings. I cut out the area roughly the size of the seat, between the side rails. Then I make a shelf by making an L-shaped platform with the vertical part of the L to the front and the base of the L extending below the floorboard behind the step in the floor. Hope that make sense.

So one of you Hawk gurus want to tell me what's going on under this seat? Looks like a curtained of "box" under the seat to me. It's a Ft. Rucker UH-1M trainer if that makes a difference.

Ray

UH-60M85_zps262c2505.jpg

So one of you Hawk gurus want to tell me what's going on under this seat? Looks like a curtained of "box" under the seat to me. It's a Ft. Rucker UH-1M trainer if that makes a difference.

The area is open-toped boxes that hold avionics boxes. Sometimes, they are covered as you have pictures, but I have seen them more often left open, like below.

pilot.jpg

Hey-

This is coming along nicely. And I like your jig, very clever. I may have to do something like this myself (if you don't mind!).

I always thought that the hole under the seats was to provide a little extra room for the seats to stroke in a crash. So the curtain would keep stuff from falling into the hole or more likely to keep trainees from trying to store stuff under the seats thus preventing them from fully stroking.

Keep up the good work!

Phil

Hey-

This is coming along nicely. And I like your jig, very clever. I may have to do something like this myself (if you don't mind!).

I always thought that the hole under the seats was to provide a little extra room for the seats to stroke in a crash. So the curtain would keep stuff from falling into the hole or more likely to keep trainees from trying to store stuff under the seats thus preventing them from fully stroking.

Keep up the good work!

Phil

All of you are right. It is a clearance well for the seat to stroke downward if needed and yes it holds various avionics boxes. IIRC, there is slave mixer valves for the brakes under the co-pilot's seat well.

Tim

U migbt be able to do without making boxes.

Cut your floor first then use precut strips to the depth u want then glue strips to underneath in a square manner then add a piece of styrene sheet over the precut strips to simulate bottom of box.

if this doesnt make sense , let me know i will post fotos how to do it

Oliver

That is a great idea Oliver. Thank you very much, I will try that.

Richard

Hey-

Keep up the good work!

Phil

Thanks for the support Phil. All the info that you guys are giving me explains a lot about different types helicopters. And no I don't mind using the ideas about the jig. I am pretty sure I am not the only person that thought of it. And I will post updates very soon but I am trying to paint better figures. I got a lot of vallejo paints and I am trying them on spare figures from old kits and trying to become better so when I create a diorama, the figures will look half decent. But we will see. I started the holes in the floor and I removed the pilot seat doors from the fuselage. More updates tomorrow.

Richard

I started working on the pilot seats.

IMG_1391_zps970852b0.jpg

I glued them up and place them in their holes (not glued yet) and I started to measure the hole beneath the pilots seats and started to start drilling holes in floor.

IMG_1411_zps5ce27871.jpg

IMG_1410_zps23548652.jpg

AARRGGGHH. My first model with holes in it. :woot.gif:/>

Then I took a #11 knife and started to remove the access from the holes underneath the pilots seat.

IMG_1412_zps85cfd071.jpg

At the same time, I removed the pilots doors attached to the fuselage of the Helo.

IMG_1413_zpsac2523ab.jpg

I have not yet tried to sand the doors or anything on the floor yet. I am giving it time to sink in that I just cut my model. :whistle:

More updates coming soon.

Richard

I wanted to take some time out to learn about helicopters. So if anyone can answer my questions, that would be great.

I know in a fighter plane, there is always one person flying the fighter jet. Why are there two pilots in a helicopter? I know that both pilots in helicopters have a flight sticks. I was wondering what does one pilot do and what does the other pilot do?

Second question. Why do I see some Black Hawk keep the pilots door and some do not. I know that it may be because of their operations but what makes them remove their doors?

Thank you guys.

Richard