Eduard 1/48 scale P-47D Bubble top Jug Limited Edition

I see.....I've never let the alclad gloss black cure for a few days, it dries so fast I didn't think it was necessary. Perhaps I should.....

Janne,

I'm really a novice at Alcad 11 NMF process, and not much better at gloss finishes. Come to think of it, I haven't attempted a gloss finish on any aircraft as yet, just a few race cars years ago. And those were done with a rattle can.

How long do you wait before you polish out or apply the Alcad metalizer paints?

I'm finding out real quick that gloss finishes are nothing like matt finishes when it comes to how one applies them. My biggest issue is that I'm not using enough paint in my paint/air mixture, so no matter how low of a psi setting I was using, how close I was to the model, and slow of a pass I made, the paint actually was drying before it reached the surface. Hence, the dreaded orange peel surface, which now has to be polished out.

As for the time I let the paint cure, it's up to the smell. As long as I can smell the enamel vapors, the paint is still curing, even though it feels dry to the touch. There are a few reasons why I'm not going to purchase another bottle of the Alcad 11 Gloss Black base. It's enamel based, not lacquer based, so drying/curing time is vastly increased. It has a horrendous odor that I feel is stronger then model lacquers. And lastly is that fact that it's pre-thinned, meaning that I'm paying for a bottle of paint that is at least 60% Mineral Spirits. At $8.95 per bottle, that's just too much for what you get.

Joel

Well, after polishing out the gloss black base, I'm still not happy with the finish.

Honestly, I've been struggling to keep up my enthusiasm for this build. So for the time being, the Jug has just become my 1st Shelf Queen. I guess sooner or later just about everyone has one. And this build has become mine.

Joel

Joel, I'm sorry to hear this might be a shelf sitter. It's the draw of the jets, they're calling you back.

Falcon20Driver,

Actually, jets have slowly equally my interest in props. The loss of interest in the kit is a combination of things, but mostly how I was just struggling with it. I just couldn't see the sense of forcing myself back to the workbench, so it's my 1st Queen in years. Although the odds are a lot greater that the Tamiya Bubble and Razorback Jugs will be seated next to each other way in my display case way before the Academy kit ever sees the light of day.

As for your assertion about the appeal of jets, the Kitty Hawk F9F-8 has been on my ready to build spot next to my workbench since I got it, so I'm starting that kit. It's going to be basically a OOB build with the best operational weathering job I can do.

Joel

I hope you post a WIP thread of the F9F. I think OOB is the way to go sometimes. After my F-14 I only wanted to focus on some easier OOB builds and it really helped to restore my drive. My TA-4 is done, my F-106 is almost ready for paint and the Magister will be a relaxing pleasant build. After those three I'll have the drive for another complicated build. I've found that pattern of in depth builds and relaxed builds helps the mojo a lot.

I hope you post a WIP thread of the F9F. I think OOB is the way to go sometimes. After my F-14 I only wanted to focus on some easier OOB builds and it really helped to restore my drive. My TA-4 is done, my F-106 is almost ready for paint and the Magister will be a relaxing pleasant build. After those three I'll have the drive for another complicated build. I've found that pattern of in depth builds and relaxed builds helps the mojo a lot.

Falcon20Driver,

Of course I'm going to do a WIP on the F9F-8. I've already started it. All I can say at this point, is that the plastic is certainly a real challenge.

Glad to hear that your F-106 is almost ready for paint.

The weird thing is that I always start out with OOB in mind, but somehow it never seems to end up that way. I'm already correcting and adding some much needed details to the Grumman seat. Research shows that the Martin Baker seat was added by the Navy as their standard seat later on.

Joel

Hey Joel. Please tell me that you have "new found" enthusiasm for this project. You have put lots of time in here and it really does look great. If its about the black Alclad II finish you have a wealth of folks following and on the boards here to help you solve this problem. I do empathize with your comment about the cost of their products. It is a lot for thinned paint! I bought some too! I was also warned by a friend of mine that other users of the Alclad II gloss black had found that it did not cure quite right. I hope that is not happening to you. Sometimes these kits that are the "fighters" will become one of your most beloved once you get it completed. I really want to see that BMF! (and I think you do too!) Hang in there and please don't give up! :pray:

Well, after polishing out the gloss black base, I'm still not happy with the finish.

Honestly, I've been struggling to keep up my enthusiasm for this build. So for the time being, the Jug has just become my 1st Shelf Queen. I guess sooner or later just about everyone has one. And this build has become mine.

Joel

You know it's healthy to let a model rest...otherwise you just stress build it and you won't like the result.

I just love that alclad bkavk gloss, use it for all my gloss blacks, not often putting metal on top tho.

I've once put honey primer on top and painted too soon and got cracks :/

Thanks guys for the support, but by heart and my head just isn't in it. The time I put in it isn't wasted as eventually I'll finish it. It's the time all of you put into following my build that was wasted. For that I truly apologize. I rather come right out and lay it on the line, then just let the build languish and everyone wonder what happened, or make excuses. Everyone gets a shelf Queen once in a while. It's been more then two years since I've had one, and that's with one build right after another.

Iike I told Falcon20Driver, I've been keeping the Kitty Hawk F9F-8 close, and keep on looking at it. It's a real challenge just to get it built. I've also got both Tamiya Jugs on the shelf waiting for my self promised duel build or one followed by the other.

Joel

Hey Joel, well only you know what is best for you! I have never thought following one of your builds was a waste. I really hope you don't feel that way. I enjoy and learn from each one!..... even if you have to "put this one to pasture" for a while. Looking forward to your next!

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Sad to see you take a hiatus on this one Joel, I think the build was going very well. I do understand as many a time over the 8 months of my Boomerang build, I was frustrated and walked away for a while. However, it can only be a good thing to let it wait rather than wrestle and get totally frustrated with the build.

Thanks for sharing and regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Sad to see you take a hiatus on this one Joel, I think the build was going very well. I do understand as many a time over the 8 months of my Boomerang build, I was frustrated and walked away for a while. However, it can only be a good thing to let it wait rather than wrestle and get totally frustrated with the build.

Thanks for sharing and regards,

Thanks for understanding.

Joel

I've always thought that this hobby is all about the fun, if you have fun struggling, great! but if you don't it becomes an obligation and it stops beeing funny! sad to see this one halted, but happy to know you are starting another one with enthusiasm! will be following that one for sure!!

I felt that I owed all of you a explanation on why I stopped the build. Just felt is was wrong to just drop the ball and walk away. I know that does bother me at times when guys do that. Long term plans are to eventually finish it, but I think that I'll end up building both my Tamiya Jugs 1st. The question is will that Bubble be a NMF or OD/NG? Plenty of time to think about that.

I'm not one to just seat back and sulk over a build gone sour. So I started my next build which is Kitty Hawk's 1/48 scale F9F-8 Cougar. I will be making my 1st update post very soon as the pit is almost done. Yeah, I know that's fast, but I've been home for two days from work on the sick side, so I had plenty of time to work on it. And it's an experience for sure.

Joel

So I started my next build which is Kitty Hawk's 1/48 scale F9F-8 Cougar. I will be making my 1st update post very soon as the pit is almost done. Yeah, I know that's fast, but I've been home for two days from work on the sick side, so I had plenty of time to work on it. And it's an experience for sure.

Joel

It's a shame you stashed the Jug but I must say I look forward to see that build, when I finish my deltas I building this one:

0517+%252822%2529.JPG

Cheers!