Trumpeter 1:32 Corsair

After talking (typing) to Corsairman, he suggested I add mine so here it is...

THE KIT:

Tm-Corsair-box.jpg

got the aires cockpit, engine, and a bunch of eduard stuff, and other fiddly bits...

DCP_2045.jpg

Picture044.jpg

i have NEVER worked with resin before and know nothing about it, but i wanted it to look as good as possible

THE DETAILS:

i was trying to make it for my dad for his birthday as its one of his favorite aircraft (besides the P 51)... i spent alot of time on the engine, scratchbuilding and when i did the dry fit, the kit cowl doesnt fit right... its too small or i have too much crap on the engine...

THE STALL:

the aires cockpit was a bear and im still not sure its going to fit as well as i would like... also the engine whats-its listed above...

and, since it was warm (spring and summer came and went 3x) i started back on my 1:1 1976 AMC JEEP CJ5... THAT takeas a lot of time too...

i ended up sanding the tops of the cylinders to get the engine to fit inside the cowl and its ok now... i also had to trim/shave the 'flywheel/transmission' to get the fit to work in the kit location...

i am trying new paints (vallejo) as well as vallejo washes, which i like very much... i find them easier to work with than oils...

Picture018_zps4e74f6b9.jpg

Picture019_zps3e38da94.jpg

the cockpit want easy, but after a bit of grinding, i got it to fit and i am pleased with it

Picture017_zps34d48185.jpg

the belts are also my first attempt at PE stuff...

i boned up the fuel tank area and added the PE replacement... but did NOT read the instructions before i placed it, so i didnt remove material to get it to lay flush... but i added filler and spent some time sanding to get it to blend in ok... i like it, even though its not exactly perfect...

Picture012_zps1c5499a0.jpg

i used small diameter rod for the hinge pins on the flaps, since i couldnt get the ends of the included metal pins to squish down properly... i was afraid i would break something...

Picture021_zpsc455bfdd.jpg

i also didnt like the way the Aires exhaust looked, so i made my own out of sprue

Picture024_zpsbbe885b7.jpg

i hope to start throwing some paint in the next day or so... the scheme will be a Solomons bird... nothing specific as far as squadron (i cant find decals)or aircrew...

if anyone can help me with decals... NOT Boyington, as i think its overdone, i would really appreciate it

thanks for looking at my stuttering restart!

TB

Edited by TexasBlues

Excellent! You have not finished your Corsair... I bought mine 5 years ago and never even started it! What sort of GB would deal with that? "the Stash Queens"? Not sure.

Anyhow - I'm really looking forward to seeing you finish this one.

• 3 weeks later...

a few of the last couple weeks progress...

my 1st attempt at pre-shading failed miserably... i laid paint too heavy and covered all the shading...

this is also my 1st try at sun fading and i think its came out ok... mixed all the colors myself with vallejo and testors

finally got the decals from eagle (weather delays to USPS)

this will be an imaginary Solomons/South Pacific bird...

i know its not historically correct, but i dont go for the ultra realism with BuNos etc... i build them the way i want them to look... thanks for looking!

Picture%20030_zpslmitp7ye.jpg

Picture%20034_zpsdpo9rxr1.jpg

Picture%20036_zpsqzvwudv9.jpg

Picture%20040_zpstczltf6w.jpg

Picture%20041_zpstrpyehq0.jpg

hope to have this finished by the deadline

... i build them the way i want them to look...

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps the rivet counting experts should put themselves in the builder's shoes and run that thought through their mind before they start expounding on why a build is not correct.

Nice work your Hose Nose. I look forward to the finished product.

Mike

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps the rivet counting experts should put themselves in the builder's shoes and run that thought through their mind before they start expounding on why a build is not correct.

Nice work your Hose Nose. I look forward to the finished product.

Mike

HA! thanks!!... I have never heard the term Nose Hose before... what does it reference?

the rivet counters have their place, and mine is not to bash... a wealth of info, every one has a niche... its just not for me

I get loads of pleasure from the whole experience...

I am going to try to make some stencils for national markings for the next one...

Hose nose is just another name for the corsair - likely because from some angles, the cowl and front fuselage kinda look like a long tube.

Love your build so far - I really need to get mine out and build it too. What was stopping me was all the work needed to be done on the cockpit but hey, what's a little work now and then right?

If its a "what if" then I say perfect! If you are having fun, well then that is exactly why we do this.

Hose nose is just another name for the corsair - likely because from some angles, the cowl and front fuselage kinda look like a long tube.

Love your build so far - I really need to get mine out and build it too. What was stopping me was all the work needed to be done on the cockpit but hey, what's a little work now and then right?

If its a "what if" then I say perfect! If you are having fun, well then that is exactly why we do this.

i thought about the OOB cockpit when i was having so much trouble with the Aires... really started to turn me off to resin as i had never used it and couldnt find any real answers to how to work with the stuff... but i got it in and im glad i stuck with it... still... the dirx that came with it read like stereo instructions (as in NO TEXT) and being a virgin, i felt overwhelmed by it...

i still may assemble it just to see how it looks...

resin scares the crap out of me... beautiful detail for sure... but at times i find myself to be VERY ham-fisted... im always terrified im going to bone it up...

i say go with the kit-pit... from what i can tell, it looks pretty good... maybe with some scratchbuilt stuff in it, it would look even better...

BUILD IT CORSAIR-MAN!

i want to see it!! =)

did a dullcoat and pastel fade job on it and I like it...

decals are a touch too stark, but over all im pleased with the outcome...

i'll post the results in the next couple days... and thanks everyone for the kind words!

TB

• 5 weeks later...

thanks!... its only for reference... the bottle cap...

I did used to enjoy a big ol bourbon and coke while building... but been sober since jan 2014

anyway...the birds finished, less the last gluing of the canopy... I have some pix, but the weathers been lousy and its hard to shoot indoors without proper lighting...

there are some pieces that are what I would call 'stock' blue... I used them to represent replaced pieces from a newer aircraft...

i'll get the pix up as soon as I can get them shot and uploaded to P-Bucket

• 1 month later...

I finished this a few weeks ago, and the prop IS installed...

im just waiting to get some other things finished before I build some sort of 'coral dust' strip for it to sit on...

there are some things I would do differently, but over-all I am pleased...

I don't think I made the cut off, but that's ok... it IS a shelf queen

thanks for looking!

Picture%20001_zpswmpu9ojs.jpg

Picture%20005_zpsgrkqok41.jpg

Picture%20003_zpsoblcjpek.jpg

Picture%20004_zpsqznsei3x.jpg

Picture%20006_zps9idcs7bk.jpg

You still have one more month!!

I really like it. Well done!

thanks CorsairMan...

i'll try to get a couple with it out in the sun... of course it wont be on the 'proper' base, but i'll see what I can come up with