It is a full moon. Taken by a NASA spacecraft of some sort, I forget what one it was.

These are some of the first pictures seen by many of the dark side of the moon, in 46 years NASA has only released one picture of the dark side of the moon.

This week they released 20 additional pictures, this one was taken 1 million miles away and was part of the release of 20 new pictures.

Here is a quick video.

EPIC View of Moon Transiting the Earth

This animation features actual satellite images of the far side of the moon, illuminated by the sun, as it crosses between the DSCOVR spacecraft's Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) and telescope, and the Earth - one million miles away. Read more: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/from-a-million-miles-away-nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth Credit: NASA/NOAA

Robert

This image shows the far side of the moon, illuminated by the sun, as it crosses between the DSCOVR spacecraft's Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) camera and telescope, and the Earth - one million miles away.

What's interesting is how stark the lighting is in space. It's hard to believe that photo was taken from a million miles away.

With no atmosphere, the moon does look unreal.

Edited by dmk0210

Looks fake, sorry but not a good artistic picture in my

un artistic amateur eye.---John

Do you really believe they would show us the back side of the moon? They can't reveal the alien space station placed there to the general public! :sunrevolves::smiley-whacky034:

Do you really believe they would show us the back side of the moon? They can't reveal the alien space station placed there to the general public! :sunrevolves:/> :smiley-whacky034:/>

You can see the five sided star shaped runways in that picture. It was obviously laid

out by Mason's, probably the same ones that designed Washington D.C. IMHO---John

These are some of the first pictures seen by many of the dark side of the moon, in 46 years NASA has only released one picture of the dark side of the moon.

The Apollo missions had released photos and the LRO released a ton a few years ago.....

Not fake. I have seen the time lapse video of this image. There is a NASA satellite between the moon and the sun that grabs this.

I know it is not fake, but it LOOKS fake. Doesn't look like there is any depth perception from

my amateur photographer's eye. Sorry it looks like a very poor composition from an artistic point

of view.Dam Star Wars movie had better pics than this! Reality sucks!---John

I know it is not fake, but it LOOKS fake. Doesn't look like there is any depth perception from

my amateur photographer's eye.

Very true. That's because we're used to viewing things through an atmosphere. Things look fuzzier and lighter as you view them from further away (the reason for the Scale Fade argument). In the vacuum of space, everything is stark and clear.

It's hard to look at that picture and accept that there is 240,000 miles between those two objects.

Edited by dmk0210