Revell of Germany 1/48 F102 Case X or Case XX wing?

The decal sheet in that Revell kit provides markings for F-102A 56-1264 which means it has the Case X wing. The easiest way to remember this...............Case X wings were found on serial numbers 53-1790 thru 56-1316 while serial numbers 56-1317 thru 57-0909 had the Case XX wings.

Hope this helps.

Oz

Uhhh, not that simple. Apparently the first Case XX wing was applied to 56-1317 (according to references), but it isn't clear that is the break point. 317 could have been a bird they pulled off the line or drawn from a test unit. You'd really have to examine photos of the Deuce you're modeling to be sure of the wing type. Also, references do not agree (if I'm remembering this correctly) on whether some Deuces were retrofitted. I doubt that any were retrofitted, but the possibility of it just makes it more difficult to determine when/where in the sequence the change was made. Good luck!

Edited by Paul Boyer

Only the original boxing of the kit (link) and the recent reissue under the Encore label have Case XX wings.

All of the other issues were done with the Case X wing.

There was an issue under the Hasegawa-Monogram label that was said to be a Case XX wing but I have not confirmed it.

Ken

Only the original boxing of the kit (link) and the recent reissue under the Encore label have Case XX wings.

All of the other issues were done with the Case X wing.

There was an issue under the Hasegawa-Monogram label that was said to be a Case XX wing but I have not confirmed it.

Ken

Also, kit 5827 (yellow border boxing) came in this box style, with the Case XX wing:

_1_zpsdrea6cwk.jpg

The Hasegawa/Revell boxing has the Case XX wing as well.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/rm/kit_has_hm160.shtml

In the write up, the author of the review mistakenly says it is a Pro Modeler re-boxing with Case X wing but them goes on to say it is a Case XX wing...as the accompanying pictures show it to be.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Case X . The outer edge of the elevon in the picture is NOT angled out

the case X was paralell to the aircraft centerline, the case XX angled

out. Look at right outer elevon on mine, case X. Square elevon, not angled

out.---John

Deuce%2015_zps2yrfiemc.jpg

Edited by john53

Sigh.

You can't judge by the box art.

You can't judge by the decal subjects.

Look at the date on the box. If it was released before 1993, or if it is the Encore kit, it is Case XX. If it was released after 1993, it is Case X. If in doubt, ask the seller. And if the box is open, as with this kit, it's even easier - ask the seller whether the wing tips are flat (Case X) or curved (Case XX)