P-40B Warhawk IIa

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

It´s moving along but slowly and to further bogg tings down I lost a part of the spinner so I ordered stuff from Hannant´s, wich will include a new propeller as well :D

Anyways this is what´s happened since last..

Sanded and rescribed lost panellines...

IMG_2622_zps8upouw1e.jpg

Put in the base of the prop..

IMG_2623_zpshakwwmn0.jpg

The stabs...

IMG_2624_zpsimy2eoy6.jpg

Dipped the clear parts in future...

IMG_2625_zpszk8nlqsa.jpg

Masked them and put them on..

IMG_2626_zpsgmhte0jf.jpg

shot some interior green

IMG_2627_zpsekbhkryy.jpg

And finished off with primer :D

IMG_2628_zpsu5nx0vrh.jpg

Going to add some small stuff and detail the cooling flaps on the belly...just waiting for the resin I ordered, there could be an open cooler in there.

Cheers!

Janne,

Now that's excellent progress for sure. The base coat of Interior Green on the glass will be very visible looking through the cockpit. I really need to make a point of this on my builds as I constantly forget to do it.

Looking forward to seeing that AM resin, especially the open cooler doors.

BTW, your masking is dead on perfect. I never seam to be able to get those rounded off corners like you do. Hence, I now buy Eduard masks for every build if they have a set.

Joel

Janne,

Now that's excellent progress for sure. The base coat of Interior Green on the glass will be very visible looking through the cockpit. I really need to make a point of this on my builds as I constantly forget to do it.

Looking forward to seeing that AM resin, especially the open cooler doors.

BTW, your masking is dead on perfect. I never seam to be able to get those rounded off corners like you do. Hence, I now buy Eduard masks for every build if they have a set.

Joel

Thanx Joel,

Hrmmmm....I used eduard masks this time :P though it isn't that hard getting those rounded corners...you cut straight 90 degree corners and then you sort of snip off the corner, just so you have a tiny tiny triangle and then you just run the point of a toothpick around the corner and voila -a rounded corner :D

A quick little update...

I gave it a good once around with a 4000 grit sanding pad...

IMG_2629_zpsfavpjh7g.jpg

Then a quick dusting of Alclad Honey primer, not so much as a gloss coat as it being very surdy and covers minor defects pretty well...and it dries instantly!

IMG_2630_zpsfxjyjoul.jpg

And finally a coat of Alclad Airframe Aluminium, this being a very robust color and well suited to chipping :D

IMG_2631_zpsc8lnjhnx.jpg

Cheers!

Hey Janne, its been awhile. Glad to see your still working on models. Its been awhile since Ive been in the game but just getting back into it. Cant wait to see more of your Warhawk!

Btw, your daughter is so damn cute!

Hey Janne, its been awhile. Glad to see your still working on models. Its been awhile since Ive been in the game but just getting back into it. Cant wait to see more of your Warhawk!she is isn't she :D

Btw, your daughter is so damn cute!

Thanx Jeremy :D

She is isn't she :D

• 3 weeks later...

Aha...you thought I had forgotten this eh?

Nope, just been busy with other things for a while....to some extent Fallout 4 is to blame :P

But now I´m back with an update :D

Last I painted it all aluminium and now it´s time for chipping!

I decided to go with vaseline chipping....it´s my prefered method.

Vaseline and a bit of scotbrite on a tweezer and I got on with it.

IMG_2632_zpsczqsbl7y.jpg

I did a bit of masking with post-it notes so the chips didn´t fall everywhere.

IMG_2633_zpsj2xhceqt.jpg

After that I painted it in Dark Earth...FS30118

IMG_2634_zpsqahhk5w6.jpg

And as fast as the paint was dry to the touch I started with the MOntex masks...a premier for me.

IMG_2635_zpsrcz8pbyw.jpg

On with the dark green, obviously it wasn´t just any darkgreen but a mix of fs34092 and 34079 in a 2:1 ratio to produce Curtis green :P

IMG_2636_zps0etteah0.jpg

And off with the masks, some gentle rubbing with a cloth to remove the vaseline followed by some gentle strokes with scotsbrite here and there :D

IMG_2637_zpsenes1cju.jpg

There...it´s got paint all over :P well almost still have to paint the underside and then it´s time to use them montex masks again for the emblems and shark mouth.

Cheers!

How about another update or is it too soon?

Anyways I masked the beasty for the belly color...like so.

IMG_2638_zpsjkwhxtbt.jpg

IMG_2639_zpsvromcbd6.jpg

Then I shot light coats of FS36493.

IMG_2640_zpspfho77uj.jpg

IMG_2641_zpsfxaf3x0g.jpg

There...next there will be insignias and a toothy smile :D

However I noticed a little issue with my montex masks...there is no bort numberfor the flying tiger version..annoying.

Cheers!

Oki...

Time to put that big smile on!

It´s a bit daunting but exciting to use the montex masks...I have no backup plan for the smile!

Luckily the vinyl masks are very forgiving and can be easily taken off and reapplied...and after some fiddleing I got them on..

the first mask...

IMG_2643_zpsdwftj4u8.jpg

Some masking around wiht ordinary kabuki tape..

IMG_2644_zpsslxfp4v8.jpg

And then the first color...white.

IMG_2645_zpsb3oigarc.jpg

Masked the teeth...

IMG_2646_zpsvped77ir.jpg

put down some grey...

IMG_2647_zps5j9vm3wh.jpg

masked the grey...

IMG_2648_zps19ozad7c.jpg

painted the red...

IMG_2649_zpsatskzn26.jpg

and the final mask for the black border...

IMG_2650_zpsnmfyhagw.jpg

black around the mouth...

IMG_2651_zpsypmwubnl.jpg

Well that´s for this update.

Edited by Aigore
  • 2 weeks later...

OK,beginning to feel alost human again, been out cold for two weeks with a mother of a flu!

This is the first day I´ve considered doing anything else but hunkering under a blanky in the couch watching bad sci-fi.

Time to do something I´ve dreaded even since I decided to go with the montex masks instead of decals....the frigging sun emblems!

It can only go wrong, it´s just a degree of how wrong :P

Well, no use whining about it just get it done!

I begin with placing the roundels... and mask.

IMG_2655_zpszpmhpeor.jpg

IMG_2656_zpszgt0z7ya.jpg

This is how the suns look on the backing paper...

IMG_2657_zps33unisfe.jpg

I stripped the unnecessary bits with a tweezer.

IMG_2658_zpsc5z9wce0.jpg

Then I shot the white...

IMG_2659_zpsfg7puk2n.jpg

Now to transfer the suns from the backing paper to the roundels in one piece...I placed a bit of transparent tape over the sun.

IMG_2660_zpsezknllae.jpg

Lited it all off the backing paper...

IMG_2661_zpsfp7kxrp1.jpg

Placed it on the wing....

IMG_2663_zpsz0atclmb.jpg

And freaking realized I had to take off adhesive from the tape to make the masks let go of the tape and stay on the surface!!!!

So I had to carefully pick off the mask from the tape with a tweezer and try to make it look passable...the mask desintegrated and I had to place every little point by them self...

After a while of cursing I ended up with this.

IMG_2664_zpsvkl55equ.jpg

End of part 1

Part 2

The second one went down perfectly after I had removed all glue from the tape :P

IMG_2665_zpsxkte1mtv.jpg

After a while I got all the masks down...they foght me every little bit of the way so you shouldn´t look too closly at them.

IMG_2666_zpsyzbvrp8r.jpg

Then I shot Royal Blue on top...

IMG_2667_zpsuyshjbkx.jpg

And unmasked...

IMG_2668_zpsl9n0zscw.jpg

IMG_2669_zpsdzp9xkfc.jpg

Meh..could have looked better but I´ll live :P

Cheers!

Janne,

Been a while, but your number 1 fan is back in the fold. Between work and family issues, I've had nearly zero time to model or stop bye. I can't tell you how wonderful I felt hearing from you. Thanks my friend.

Anyway, you've progressed at more then a satisfactory pace. The camo paint scheme came out just fine including the chipping. And that Shark mouth is so much better then any decal I've ever seen. but the masking for the National Chinese insignias is just 1st rate work. I'm mightly impressed to say the least.

Hope to actually get a little more work in on the Mitchell, as I've been very slowly doing the boring glass masking, and there is a ton of it.

Joel

Janne,

Been a while, but your number 1 fan is back in the fold. Between work and family issues, I've had nearly zero time to model or stop bye. I can't tell you how wonderful I felt hearing from you. Thanks my friend.

Anyway, you've progressed at more then a satisfactory pace. The camo paint scheme came out just fine including the chipping. And that Shark mouth is so much better then any decal I've ever seen. but the masking for the National Chinese insignias is just 1st rate work. I'm mightly impressed to say the least.

Hope to actually get a little more work in on the Mitchell, as I've been very slowly doing the boring glass masking, and there is a ton of it.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

The national insignias got a we bit wonky here and there but they'll work :P

I'm happy you found time to sift through my work on the P-40!