British air strikes in Syria

So with all the news about air strikes in Syria I was wondering what planes will be used there.

The news papers are full of stock Tornado pictures but I imagine the Typhoon will play a larger roll than the Tornado would.

Any ideas?

The GR.4s that have been bombing ISIS targets in Iraq have done one or two raids in Syria today/yesterday. Using 3x Paveway IV load-outs from the photos, at least one has actually been dropped in anger.

2F045BDC00000578-3343475-image-a-33_1449132934779.jpg

Typhoons were sent to Cyprus from RAF Lossiemouth this morning so will soon join in.

Shame they won't paint them desert pink, it would make for much more interesting photos.

Edited by T0M4ever

I don't think that Typhoon is yet cleared for the range of weapons that the Tornado can deliver(??).

AFAIK, it still does not have a proper 'swing role' capability - I've seen quotes saying that it cannot yet deliver Brimstone.

Much is being made on UK TV about Brimstone - it is being touted as a wonder weapon - much requested by other members of the coalition.

It is being praised for its ability to pinpoint moving vehicles - e.g. fuel convoys.

Surely the US and France has an equivalent precision munition??

Ken

Both appear to have considered buying it. At least I have read in a defence press article somewhere that the USA were evaluating Brimstone against a new version of Hellfire with similar capabilities, but I have no idea what came of that, if anything at all.

If there was an evaluation it suggests that at that point, they didn't

Shane

I don't think that Typhoon is yet cleared for the range of weapons that the Tornado can deliver(??).

AFAIK, it still does not have a proper 'swing role' capability - I've seen quotes saying that it cannot yet deliver Brimstone.

"BAE Systems has been awarded an initial study contract, valued at £5 million by the UK Ministry of Defence to evaluate the integration of the MBDA Brimstone 2 air-to-ground precision weapon with the Typhoon aircraft.

Work is currently underway at Warton, Lancashire to assess the aerodynamic properties of carrying the weapon through a series of wind tunnel tests. Alongside delivering an effective route to Brimstone 2 integration for the UK Royal Air Force (RAF) by 2018, the study is also set to deliver wider benefits through the exploration of a common launcher approach which could also be used for other multiple weapons stores such as SPEAR 3.

The Brimstone 2 weapon will add to the swing-role capability of the Typhoon aircraft. Brimstone 2 is effective against the most challenging, high speed and manoeuvring targets over land and sea. As a low collateral, close air support weapon it is already combat proven in Afghanistan and Libya by the RAF. The study contract will transition the Dual Mode Brimstone capability that is combat proven on Tornado GR4 to Typhoon utilising the Brimstone 2 missile."

http://www.aviationworldnews.com/news/integration-studies-of-mbda-brimstone-missile-on-typhoon-are-starting-38754

If t`interweb is to be believed, the USN is most enthusiastic of the American services about Brimstone for use against small, fast attack craft, such as speedboats.

But, apparently, the USAF and Army are also evaluating Brimstone.

I have also read that a dual-mode Hellfire is being produced to rival Brimstone for American orders.

As to the OP, 10 Tornado and 6 Typhoon are now on Cyprus. Typhoon is slated for Iraq only use, according to reports.

Tornado can use the Raptor pod, and the Brimstone missile which is not yet cleared for the Typhoon.

Cheers, Ian

Typhoons will be flying with EPW II. I believe there are 8 x Typhoons at Akrotiri

Brimstone is considered to the best in it's class, Brimstone DM will be even better.

Edited by scotthldr

Typhoons will be flying with EPW II. I believe there are 8 x Typhoons at Akrotiri

Brimstone is considered to the best in it's class, Brimstone DM will be even better.

All media reports so far are of six Typhoons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34990012

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/768701/if-yes-raf-lossie-crews-bound-for-syria/

Typhoons have been making much use of Paveway IV during recent training so maybe we will see them used as part of a joint pool alongside the Tornado force already using Paveway IV.

Cheers, Ian

Ian you may be right as the following Typhoons are definitely at Akortiri

ZK332/EB-J

ZK305/EE

ZK314/EO

ZK316/FA

ZK338/FF

ZK348/FN

It would appear that someone also listed the spare a/c as departing as well, but they didn't

ZK309/Q-OP

ZK306/ED

ZK322/GS

Regarding Typhoons and PGMs... because of their involvement in Yemen, Saudis paid all the involved companies (plus RAF and the MOD in London) few truckloads of bucks, picked up all the software that was ready, plenty of Paveway IVs... and 'disappeared' - together with their Typhoons - 'in unknown direction', in late spring this year.

With other words: RSAF Typhoons are very much in action (indeed, apparently even more than RSAF Tornados, meanwhile), as PGM-deliverers there. (With help of Damocles targeting pods, BTW.) Expenditure of British-made ordnance is so intensive, that there are meanwhile regular flights by RAF Globemasters to the KKAB...

Bottom line: it's on hand that most of the work of mating PGMs to the Typhoon, originally planned to be done by the RAF and involved companies only in the course of the next few years - is meanwhile actually complete.

Edited by TomCooper

Much is being made on UK TV about Brimstone - it is being touted as a wonder weapon - much requested by other members of the coalition.

It is being praised for its ability to pinpoint moving vehicles - e.g. fuel convoys.

As of this past summer, Brimstone's been cleared for use on Reaper (IIRC) RPAs. Super Hornet integration testing was underway and plans are to incorporate it with the F-35.

Ian you may be right as the following Typhoons are definitely at Akortiri

ZK332/EB-J

ZK305/EE

ZK314/EO

ZK316/FA

ZK338/FF

ZK348/FN

It would appear that someone also listed the spare a/c as departing as well, but they didn't

ZK309/Q-OP

ZK306/ED

ZK322/GS

Scott, I also picked-up that some news outlets are reporting `8 jets on their way- Typhoons bound for Cyprus` without pointing out that it`s 6 Typhoon and 2 additional Tornado that`s been sent, which would explain the 8 aircraft thing.

Another news report talked of bombing from `hundreds of thousands of feet`. Impressive :doh:

Cheers, Ian

Another news report talked of bombing from `hundreds of thousands of feet`. Impressive :doh:

Ian

I suppose it's possible to be doing that after all 100K ft is only 30.5 Km, :woot.gif::whistle: if they are using missiles like the Harpoon, or it's equivalent change that 200K ft is only 61 Km; just a walk in the park for an AGM-84, Storm shadow, or Sea Eagle.

I suppose it's possible to be doing that after all 100K ft is only 30.5 Km, :woot.gif:/> :whistle:/> if they are using missiles like the Harpoon, or it's equivalent change that 200K ft is only 61 Km; just a walk in the park for an AGM-84, Storm shadow, or Sea Eagle.

I`m sorry, I should have made it clear that the whole quote was `bombing from hundreds of thousands of feet up`

Substantially higher than the service ceiling of both the Tornado and the Typhoon by.....a lot. :woot.gif:

Cheers, Ian

I`m sorry, I should have made it clear that the whole quote was `bombing from hundreds of thousands of feet up`

Substantially higher than the service ceiling of both the Tornado and the Typhoon by.....a lot. :woot.gif:

Cheers, Ian

Does the UK have a secret space shuttle......that was wired to carry ordnance?......jeeez even the newsy folks in the UK flub the news, ya think he/she even has a clue as to how high that is; from that altitude getting with in 10 Km of target with a smart weapon would probably be considered great. I wonder if the Tonkas could use a JP233 like a cluster munition.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

British paper reporting first Typhoon missions, pics showing 4 x Paveway IV and AMRAAM carried, along with pod and tanks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3346665/Back-bomb-ISIS-RAF-Typhoon-fighters-deployed-time-Syria-Britain-launches-fresh-round-airstrikes-jihadis.html

Cheers, Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Typhoons and PGMs... because of their involvement in Yemen, Saudis paid all the involved companies (plus RAF and the MOD in London) few truckloads of bucks, picked up all the software that was ready, plenty of Paveway IVs... and 'disappeared' - together with their Typhoons - 'in unknown direction', in late spring this year.

With other words: RSAF Typhoons are very much in action (indeed, apparently even more than RSAF Tornados, meanwhile), as PGM-deliverers there. (With help of Damocles targeting pods, BTW.) Expenditure of British-made ordnance is so intensive, that there are meanwhile regular flights by RAF Globemasters to the KKAB...

Bottom line: it's on hand that most of the work of mating PGMs to the Typhoon, originally planned to be done by the RAF and involved companies only in the course of the next few years - is meanwhile actually complete.

Haven't Typhoons been active in the region since 2011 from West Cyprus? I seem to remember, probably from your forum, that 6 were rotated in to prevent Russian incursions during the Libyan revolution.

Haven't Typhoons been active in the region since 2011 from West Cyprus? I seem to remember, probably from your forum, that 6 were rotated in to prevent Russian incursions during the Libyan revolution.

If my creaking memory serves, Typhoons flew from Gioia del Colle in Italy to enforce a no fly zone, then flew mixed pairs with Tornadoes in strike missions. They returned to the UK at the end of operations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ellamy

I`m fairly sure of that, but neither myself or Wikipedia are infallible.

Cheers, Ian

• 1 month later...

They're rotated in and out, regularly. Sometimes because of specific tensions (like that with Russian incursions), but mostly related to various exercises.

This time it's related to this quasi-campaign against the Daesh ('quasi' because it's so pointless - at least without removing Assad - it makes absolutely no sense even discussing it).