1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A

Howdy folks, Im sure it is an extensive list, but I really dont want to buy a trumpeter D, and I already have a Tamiya A. Other than the double pylons, is there really that much of an external difference between the two?

You need stub pylons on the inboard wings, you need to delete the landing light under the left wing and add one in the leading edge (for most -1As as well, for that matter - disappointing that Tamiya even put it there), possibly different canopy.

Or wait for Tamiya to do it as a -1D (fingers crossed).

Being a 1/72 builder I'm not familiar with these specific kits, but any chance the -1A kit might already have most of the extra D parts anyway? Really comes down just building it with the two inboard bomb pylons, plus the outer wing rocket stub pylons, using the frameless canopy, and making sure the tailwheel is the common taller variety (early -1A's had a short one like the -1).

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

personally I find there are more interesting F4U-1 and F4U-1A aircraft than the F4U-1D.

(monochromatic schemes are dull as dirty dish water ! )

so perhaps you should look around and find some F4U-1A markings that you like. :)

That would be awesome, A dash 5/7 and AU-1 would be nice too.

Aye, it would. But I suspect the likelihood of that is somewhere between slim and none, and Slim is on his way out of town.

About the only common parts would be the landing gear and vertical fin/rudder. Even a -4 is pretty unlikely, IMO, and the parts commonality there is a bit higher although still not extensive.

I'd love to be wrong here though.

Well the -4 is at least covered by trumpeter. The F4u is my favorite thing with wings, so one day (hopefully) I will have all the variants side by side with their little 1/48 sisters...