Any JASDF F-86D Decals in 1/48?

it existed since several years ago Hasegawa re-boxed the Monogram Sabre Dog, but is impossible to find nowadays. To finish mine I took a very old Hasegawa F-86F box that had the correct tail markings for the F-86D, then used general numbers for the serials,

4ryef9.jpg

As always, nicely done, Pierpaolo. I kept hoping Revell would do a F-86K version, it would have been significantly cheaper than the Must Have kit. I'm really surprised that Revell-Germany didn't do one based on the F-86D molds.

12 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I seem to recall that Platz decals issued a set of decals for an F-86 in the JASDF. I may be mistaken and to be honest it may not even be 1/48 but 1/72nd. Maybe a search of HLJ?

You weren't mistaken Chris.   They were in 1/72 data markings.   I couldn't find an equivalent in 1/48 from them.   Platz decals are superb though expensive and usually out of stock..  Wish they did them in 1/48.  

• 4 weeks later...

Don,  Hasegawa did release their own decals back in the 80s, but only for 1/72. Here is a link to their F-86F/F-104J combined sheet.  I too remember a Hasegawa pop of the Revell F-86D in 1/48, but didn't buy it back in the nineties, as my interests were elsewhere.  Shoulda, woulda, coulda!  R/ Dutch

Also the 86 used similar markings to the 104 and you may be able to substitute F-104J squadron markings etc onto your Sabre.

Hasegawa did a 104 with cartography decals for all squadron markings.

might be worth checking the squadron marking sizes etc..

@dehowie,  I am not sure that the squadron markings actually coincide.  Here is a copy of the decals sheet from Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D combo kit #02018 and very similar markings from the single kit #BP4.  None of these markings was carried by the F-104J.

@Don, Platz does a stencil decal in 1/72, which includes the national insignia.  All you would need is the serial numerals and squadron markings.  I'll see if I can find a 1/48 version of any of these.  Platz does offer several 1/48 T-33 decal sheets ( #1, #2, #3) with several options and multiple serial numbers that would fit the F-86D.  I think the first one has something close to F-86D squadron markings.  And the preferred option is the ever elusive Flying Papa's decals from Japan (that no one seems able to order) has two sets of JASDF 1/48 F-86D decals on their website.    

Lastly, Fuji (Marusan?) released a 1/50 scale F-86D in JASDF markings twice.  Detail was minimal with moving parts and removable tail with jet engine (ala their copy of Marusan F-104J).  Sunny & Entex later released it with USAF decals. 

HTH, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Additional info
6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Lastly, Fuji (Marusan?) released a 1/50 scale F-86D in JASDF markings twice.  Detail was minimal with moving parts and removable tail with jet engine (ala their copy of Marusan F-104J).  Sunny & Entex later released it with USAF decals. 

HTH, Dutch

I have a couple 1/144 kit replicas of the Marusan 1/50 kit (gashopan). They are quite interesting for their day. Certainly not great by today's standards, but not bad either. One is pre-painted on the sprues, the other is undecorated. 

• 1 year later...