500 Robertson MH-012 "T" Tank"

A couple of years ago I did some initial research for World Airpower Journal on the 500.  A disagreement on acquisition of imagery lead me to stop supplying them with information.500_Robinson_MH-012_T_Tank_Aux_SM.jpg.29a7f87edea3d801047127ef8658e40a.jpg

500 Robertson MH-012 "T Tank", yeah I screwed up the name...

Edited by BWDenver
Wrong name...

Robinson is the manufacturer of the auxiliary fuel tanks.  The "T" tank is in a reddish color in the first pic with seats.  The "Goliath" tank in the second pic is the more common one found in 160th SOAR Little Birds.

When we flew into Iraq in 2003 we would usually have an 800 Gal Robertson tank at the mid cabin point.  It helped with the first stretch from Kuwait city to Tillil.

At 50,000 Lb the Chinooks would consume a ton of fuel per engine, per hour.  The added 800 gal helped.  If we were doing a desert FARP, we would could fit up to 3 of the "Robbies" into the 47.  But that would put us at around 50,000 LOGW with the JP and all the associated gear.

Robertson makes a good product...

And BTW, the bird is most likely a Hughs built 500.

- Bryan

Edited by BWDenver
51 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Robinson is the manufacturer of the auxiliary fuel tanks.  The "T" tank is in a reddish color in the first pic with seats.  The "Goliath" tank in the second pic is the more common one found in 160th SOAR Little Birds.

I see. I thought he was talking about the chopper.

Great photos, Bryan. That Hughes 500 was owned at the time by Harry Robertson (you probably knew that) and I think he test-flew all of his 500-related tanks on it, including the external tanks that are currently flown on the MELB. I'd love to see a photo of N9010F in that configuration!

N9010F was only the fourth Hughes 500 built and Hughes used it as a test-ship before Harry Robertson bought it. I think it also might have been the first 500 to get the larger rear door that was introduced on the later production batches of the Hughes 500 and Hughes 500C. It is still flying today but sadly the smart blue-and-white paint scheme has been replaced by Olive Drab. Bryan, if you have any other interesting 500 info and photos, please post them up, they are always welcome here. Thanks.

LD.

P.S. Bryan, do you know where those photos were taken? I'd guess somewhere in Arizona. Thanks.

Edited by Loach Driver

The shots were supplied by Robertson.  He found out I was researching the tanks used by the 160th and I got this really angry phone call.  He started yelling and it took a bit to calm him down.  After that He sent me the shots and the "sales" material. 

I have a number of shots from MD.  Most have likely been shown before.  Like the shot of an MD 530E, N8336F with a Mast Mounted Sight like the OH-58D KW. 

Or 65-12931 one of the first batch of airframes built.  65-12916 - 65-13003 Series 1 airframes.

OH-6A_12931_Flt_SM.jpg.754e7794462293e9882c1d2404bb55a2.jpg

Edited by BWDenver

That "T" tank with seats... the back of a 500 is not a comfortable ride on any given day, but on THAT thing?? lol even worse.

You can LEGALLY fit 7 (SEVEN) people in the the 500C, I doubt it'd get off the ground, but legally you could. 4 in the back, head to head, 2 forwards and 2 backwards. and also squeeze in 3 in the front, hence the left side PIC.

And the max weight is 200 less than the 206A...

Always found the 206B-III better to sling with.  Sitting on the Rt side balanced out the natural left skid low hover. 

With the 500D it was sort of exaggerated...

500D_8069G_AirWest_Near_Chief_Mt_GlacierPark_MT_Aug_81_Sm_BryanWilburn_SM.jpg.e8ca7c8d859231a824fa897491a98720.jpg

This shot was taken just outside of Glaser Park MT.  We were waiting for the upper winds to die down so I could take a survey crew to the top of the peak that's just about the fwd. edge of the rotor blades.  8665 feet of Divide Mountain.

Bryan

OK. maybe I was IN Glacier Park, I took this  on top of Divide Mt, NW corner of the peak.  No Cell phone, but a 35 mm camera selfi.

BryanWilburn_500D_8069G_GlacierPark_DivideMt_Aug_81_BryanWilburn_SM.jpg.27bdab77ccae5a85bd1539560d45a527.jpg

There was just enough room for the survey team to set up for their shot from another mountain top.  Great place for a Bench mark, hell of a place to get to!

But man what a view from the top!

- Bryan

On 1/28/2019 at 7:33 PM, 11bee said:

Great (and very unique) pictures Brian.   Thanks for posting.   A long shot to be sure but if you happen to come across any pics of early FLIR displays used on H-6's, I'd love to see them.  

John

John, not H-6s but I cant imagine their FLIR wasn't COTS or dissimilar to that seen in these MD500 series Law Enforcement assets from the early 80s up. All images were taken by Rainer G. Hanxleden and were scanned from his 5x7 photos. Click for larger 300 dpi

FLIR+MD-500.jpg

FLIR.jpg

I believe this monitor may actually be LLTV type.

lltv+md500.jpg