CD144020 - 1/144 SAC B-52 Part 1

@habu2, Yes, Revell did release an early B-52H #4728 using the Crown molds circa early 1980s. However,  in 1990 Revell released two new tool 1/144 B-52 kits, #4583 B-52G with START II Treaty strakes on the wing roots, but HSAB on stub pylons with 12 AGM-84 Harpoon missiles; and #4584 B-52H with ALCM pylons and 12 AGM-86 CALCM missiles. Revell really should have swapped the payloads between the kits as that would have been more appropriate.  

@Paul Boyer, The ACE boxing came much later than the initial Revell offerings. ACE may have had something to do with the tooling, just as with the 767-300 kit, but it is rather noteworthy that ACE never released the B-52H. 

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

I have the 1970 Crown kit and the Revell 4583 & 4584 kits in the stash. I have to admit I've never compared them as I considered the old Crown kit as more of a collectable...

On 2/25/2024 at 1:41 PM, habu2 said:

I have the 1970 Crown kit and the Revell 4583 & 4584 kits in the stash. I have to admit I've never compared them as I considered the old Crown kit as more of a collectable...

habu2, swap the ALCM pylons and weapons from Revell H to G and make a Secret Squirrel aircraft; then swap the pylons from G to H and add bombs or AGM-142 Have Nap missiles available from 3D printers.  Build the Crown H "as is," paint in the silver & white "Chrome Dome" scheme and use the AGM-28 Hound Dogs.  My recommendation.  K/r, Dutch

13 minutes ago, Dutch said:

habu2, swap the ALCM pylons and weapons from Revell H to G and make a Secret Squirrel aircraft; then swap the pylons from G to H and add bombs or AGM-142 Have Nap missiles available from 3D printers.  Build the Crown H "as is," paint in the silver & white "Chrome Dome" scheme and use the AGM-28 Hound Dogs.  My recommendation.  K/r, Dutch

The Hound Dog missiles in the Crown kit need so much work to get the wings to look right.   I used one of the 1/72 Hound Dogs that came with the AMT G and traced the wing outline.  I then shrunk in down by 1/2 so it was in 1/144 and reshaped the Crown missile wings.   Looks so much better now.

It is the Crown/Minicraft H kit with a set of resin engines I think I got from Carl Knable many years ago.   The tail gun is one that I resin cast from the Revell G kit.   The weapon pylons are modified kit pylons along with parts of the RetroKits HSAB & MER pylons.   I grabbed a set of Armory wheels to replace the kit wheels and my plan is to resin cast a set of wing tanks that come in the Revell G/H kits.   Decals will be a combination of Caracal and kit markings from the later Minicraft H. 

This is one of three G's I have in progress.  The other two are the Revell kits.   One is straight out of the box with the strakelettes and the other is using the Revell H fuselage. 

Edited by Drifterdon
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

And I thought that I was a masochist for building B-52s from the Crown kit.

They aren't bad if you just want a basic representation of a B-52.   Just don't look into the wheel wells and don't look at them head on and see those wings that are as thick as a B-36.  And make sure to change out the engines.

They do require a lot of work to clean up.

25 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

I'd love to know where you got your paint rack.  It looks like some kind of lazy susan.

MicroMark.