I don't really build cars, but I want to build one.  Aside from Tamiya, what manufacturers build good quality cars?  Before you guys flame me and tell me to search... I did, and thanks to the direction Google has been heading, all I get are ads for Amazon or other shops and not anything remotely useful. 

I'm primarily interested in rally cars, F1, and European race cars.  

Can't answer the question, but searching for "kit" + review will usually get you to results whereby kits have been reviewed, and from these you can get an opinion on each kit. 

"Best kit" as definition is highly subjective and hence will never be fully answered as it is individual 😉

...its really not that subjective.  I'm not asking "who makes the best kit" I'm asking what manufacturers make the more detailed, better quality kits. 

In other words, who else makes kits that are comparable to Tamiya quality.

I tried looking up reviews but most of the results were eShops, not actual reviews.  

• 1 month later...

I think the depends on both the genre and scale of the model. You’ll obviously get more detail in 1/8 or 1/12 scale plastic kit than you will in a 1/43 metal model.   And kits of sports cars, NASCAR racers, trucks etc are generally available in only certain scales. Narrow it down a bit and you will get some recommendations. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/15/2019 at 1:50 PM, BaconRaygun said:

In other words, who else makes kits that are comparable to Tamiya quality.

Hi,

I would rank the modern range from Aoshima as good as Tamiya, if not slightly better. I have their 1/24 Pagani Huayra and Lamborghini Countach LP400 kits, the moulding quality is flawless, the detailing is a prowess, beautiful surface finish, perfect fit and high part count.

These comments apply IMHO only to their most recent new tools because many other kits are from an ancient generation and the drop in quality everywhere is very perceptible vs Tamiya.

Other gems are from the Fujimi Enthusiast range (Porsche 356, 911, Ferrari Dino, Lamborghini Countach, BMW 635CSi, etc), probably exceeds Tamiya in terms of overall details but assembly can be more tricky.

• 11 months later...

The BEST kits are from MFH (Model Factory Hiro ), from Japan. The 1/24 scale kits generally start at about $250, their 1/12 scale kits can run $750 -$1200 depending on their rarity. The attention  to detail is only matched by scratch built super-modeler kinda stuff. 

Expat