The pump unit looks good, but I don't get why it is there.  These are normally mounted in the back of a 5-ton truck with two fuel pods.  It is not normally used as a ground unit.  Are you going to make the fuel pods too?

1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

The pump unit looks good, but I don't get why it is there.  These are normally mounted in the back of a 5-ton truck with two fuel pods.  It is not normally used as a ground unit.  Are you going to make the fuel pods too?

I have learned that there is no set rules with military equipment about where and how they use it. Won't do the fuel pods.  Glad to hear u like it.

19 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

I know you don't care about accuracy, but it is not an item you would see around aircraft, it just wasn't used for them.  Do what you like though, it's your model.

Yeah it is, there is nothing  that I have seen to put around the aircraft in the field that sparked my interest. I build stuff sometimes I don't

use, will see. 

15 hours ago, Rotorman said:

I wanted to do the hoses using solder wire but I could not get the right curve in such a tight spot so used cable instead. I need to do some painting before I glue everything.

Hi Rotorman - Your work continues to astonish me!  Wonderfully detailed pieces and your diorama is really taking shape.

A couple of questions: is your intent to display a UH-34 as the centerpiece or a Wessex?  What is your objective for the theme of your diorama? 

Recommend a wooden pallet to rest your refueling rig on - it's likely that a machine like that would be isolated from the dirt and unevenness of the soil.

Just a suggestion.

IMG_7180.jpeg

IMG_7179.jpeg

IMG_7181.jpeg

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7186.jpeg

Hi USMCVet

Glad to hear you like the fuel rig, I like the idea of the wood pallet, will add that.

The diorama will be with the H34 having an engine swap  in a field using the truck crane, I will have two mechanics by the engine and a truck operator by the controls. The blades will be folded.

The generator and the fuel rig is just to add color to the scene  but nothing is final just yet since I need to finish the helo first to position everything.

Oliver

Now that's some great maintenance photo. How about that cool toolbox and the small trailer to secure the engine.

The tent is so close to the maintenace area. A lot of stuff around the helo on the ground.

IMG_7200.png

Edited by Rotorman

So I made 2 toolboxes since I was having difficulty with scale. I used the helicopter tire for reference but there is some gap between the helo and the box and that threw me off for size. Still need to add wheels to the box.

heres how it  looks so far, feedback welcomeon which box looks better.

IMG_7218.jpeg

IMG_7217.jpeg

IMG_7216.jpeg

IMG_7221.jpeg

IMG_7219.jpeg

I agree, it does keep getting better and better.  Love all the tools and boxes.  One comment though, you're going to have a very tough time rolling the engine around on that cart as well as the tool boxes in all that gravel!   Granted, with a platoon of Marines, I could move anything, in any terrain, in any weather, but it wasn't always pleasant!

Edited by Dutch
2 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I agree, it does keep getting better and better.  Love all the tools and boxes.  One comment though, you're going to have a very tough time rolling the engine around on that cart as well as the tool boxes in all that gravel!    

Yeah I agree about ground, I am looking at runway metal plates

One last comment.  If you are going to use the AM Dunlop tire, you will have to file off the Dunlop label, as it was a European brand and appropriate for UK Wessex and possibly French H-34s, but I suspect Michelin more likely for those.  For US machines, it was either GoodYear, B.F. Goodrich, or Continental.

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

One last comment.  If you are going to use the AM Dunlop tire, you will have to file off the Dunlop label, as it was a European brand and appropriate for UK Wessex and possibly French H-34s, but I suspect Michelin more likely for those.  For US machines, it was either GoodYear, B.F. Goodrich, or Continental.

Thanks good point. 

The photos immediately above, posted 25 Nov. clearly show the long Wessex-style engine cowling...which would not be correct for a U.S. H-34 in Vietnam (or anywhere else).

On page one of this thread, back in 2020, you showed a conversion kit with the correct cowl for the Wright R-1820 "Cyclone"  radial engine which powered the H-34s.

Edited by JohnEB

The Wessex is just to line stuff up for the dio pieces. I will be using the H34. Not a Vietnam dio since I will the H34 International orange.

i appreciate you keeping me on my toes and watching out for my build.

Edited by Rotorman