AIM-9L/M & X missile head colour

From my experience I have seen many variation in the Winder's GCS (seeker section) so (as has been stated) no two were the exact same. I normally use Alclad Lacquer Steel (ALC 112) for both the -9M's and -9X's I do.

hth

GW

RLM colors are Luftwaffe spec paints from WW2. RLM 02 is a warm gray that tends to tint to a beige or green. I don't think it would work for a seeker head, but RLM 74 looks like a good match for some of the pics in this thread.. Just rub it with a pencil after painting to get a metallic shine.

Some color samples taken from this blog: http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/2014/07/ak-interactive-ak2001-luftwaffe.html

AK Luftwaffe01.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
Fixing image.
  • 6 months later...

I had asked a simular question about the infrared seeker heads on the AGM 65 Maverick missiles. One guy mentioned mixing Tamiya clear orange and Tamiya clear blue together made like this greenish brownish color. I supposed you could play with the ratios and decide for yourself. Looks pretty close

Jeff

I exchanged views on this issue (which includes the AIM-9D/G/H in addition to the AIM-9L/M) with the late, great Henry Blecha, who was involved with the program at China Lake. The seeker housings were anodized and the resulting color depended on how 'fresh' the chemical bath they were treated in was. That is why there was so much variation in the color. So, within reason, a metallic finish with a greenish-gray tinge to it is fine. It is NOT an exact color and most decidedly NOT BLACK!