Tamiya 1/48 F-16C decals

Hi All,

So I'm starting work on the Tamiya 1/48 F-16C and would love to do the 188th FW Jet with the Red Tail:

But the decals are very thick.  Much thicker even then the Tamiya Armor Decals I've been using for a few years... very surprising... as if Tamiya has intentionally made their decals thicker over the years 😜

OLX4fZv.jpg

How do you guys deal with the thick decals to make them look painted on?

For aircraft I usually use aftermarket cartograf decals so I picked up the Desert Storm Vipers from Bullseye...

jC92ytV.jpg

A truly magnificent decal sheet printed by cartograf - so super thin.  But I would love to build the Red Tailed 188th TFW jet as that tail is just so striking... would look really good on the shelf... but I'm dreadfully afraid of dealing with what appear to be extremely thick Tamiya Decals... thoughts?  Anyone have experience with these thick Tamiya decals on jets?  Or is everyone deferring to aftermarket decals?

Thanks.

-Greg

The usual trick of microset/microsol on a gloss surface has worked for me. Another thing I've done is use quality decals for almost everything else on the jet except where I have had to use kit decals to mark the aircraft I want to do. 

Also hot decal solutions. Tamiya has their own branded decal solution that is quite hot, or the Mr. branded decal softener. I’ve had success, but needed time, and a few applications for the more stubborn Tamiya decals. 

If higher quality correctly sized decals are available, use those of course. 

On 6/9/2023 at 7:56 AM, lgl007 said:

Thanks for all your advice... seems that keeping the decal warm through the process is the way to go.

-Greg

Yes!!! I use a Yeti mug and a kettle. My wife has one of those ember warm mugs....thinking of trying that out.