Zvezda 1/72 AC-130J Ghostrider

22 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

The decal sheet prop tip colors are wrong as well. The MC/HC/AC-J 

the blade tips are a light gray color. 

Cheers...Ron

Yes, correct Ron. I didn't really pay attention to that since I won't be using them anyway.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
On 8/13/2023 at 5:06 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

My main windshield is almost flat.

(edited)_IMG_7961.png

What a bummer man! Just got mine yesterday & it was fine.

ApJgRnj.jpg

At least 6-8 weeks gives you plenty of time to get scratch build all the missing interior bits :^)

I hope they overestimated that timeline, but thankfully it's not a critical piece early on in the build.

Been a lurker on this forum for a while but excited to finally to join in on the conversation! This place has been a huge help for references etc.

"At least 6-8 weeks gives you plenty of time to get scratch build all the missing interior bits :^)"

My build will be a in flight display so all the doors and ramps will be closed.

Steve

Mine finally arrived after a month in the mail with no tracking.  My windscreen is OK, but the entire clear sprue is very soft.  Usually clear sprues are hard and a little more brittle than the colored plastic, but in this kit, the clear sprue is softer than the colored plastic.  I can easily twist the clear sprue in my hands.

3 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Mine finally arrived after a month in the mail with no tracking.  My windscreen is OK, but the entire clear sprue is very soft.  Usually clear sprues are hard and a little more brittle than the colored plastic, but in this kit, the clear sprue is softer than the colored plastic.  I can easily twist the clear sprue in my hands.

Yes,

The clear plastic sprue in the latest, AC-130J variant, is definitely different to that included in the original C-130H and C-130J-300 kits that I have previously obtained. As you say a loft softer and bendier....and normally this plastic is much harder than the 'standard' plastic in the kits.

5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Glad to hear she finally arrived Dave. All the plastic in this kit is very different. I'm hoping that doesn't lead to issues when it comes time for primer/paintwork.

Steve

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Mine arrived today also and mine looked like it got sat on by an elephant. Luckily everything appears alright and the clear tree is alright, but I did notice the plastic is very bendable. I also finally got the see the walkway decals Steve has been saying is too dark, hopefully some aftermarket decals will come out.

2 hours ago, Buckmeister said:

I wonder if the weird plastic might be due to their possible inability to get certain chemicals due to sanctions?  

Very possible.........it is 'funny' how the composition of the plastic has suddenly changed for no apparent reason (unlike recent Airfix kits which now feature a harder, darker grey plastic to replace the rather soft material that was used up until around 18 months ago and which drew some criticism)

11 hours ago, Buckmeister said:

I wonder if the weird plastic might be due to their possible inability to get certain chemicals due to sanctions?  

That same thought crossed my mind when I first opened the kit.

Steve

I´m curious if the soft plastic develops some nasty behaviour over time like rubber tires? I heard about rubber tracks or tires on models that "breath out" the softener which then leads to issues with the surrounding plastic like rims or track wheels.

HAJO

27 minutes ago, Hajo L. said:

I´m curious if the soft plastic develops some nasty behaviour over time like rubber tires? I heard about rubber tracks or tires on models that "breath out" the softener which then leads to issues with the surrounding plastic like rims or track wheels.

HAJO

That's one of my worries when it comes time for primer/paintwork, what will happen down the road ??

Steve

29 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

If people ordered replacement clear parts, please let us know when they arrive if they are the same soft plastic, just not flattened, or if the replacement is in the normal hard plastic like the earlier C-130 kits.

Copy that, will do.

Steve

When I got mine yesterday I was looking through the kit and noticed something, can anyone tell me where the parts are for the anti missile laser things that go in the circular attachment points on the rear of the fuselage aft of the troop door, above the cargo ramp on both sides? Its not in the instructions that I found and the other versions dont have it, other than the RAF C-130J-30 which has the different mounting but they don't show what goes on them either.

Duane

30 minutes ago, Falcon053 said:

When I got mine yesterday I was looking through the kit and noticed something, can anyone tell me where the parts are for the anti missile laser things that go in the circular attachment points on the rear of the fuselage aft of the troop door, above the cargo ramp on both sides? Its not in the instructions that I found and the other versions dont have it, other than the RAF C-130J-30 which has the different mounting but they don't show what goes on them either.

Duane

Parts K6.  Instruction steps 17 and 22.