A new dream, a new love.

On a Czech modelling forum the boss of the aftermarket company is speaking about a future project to produce a whole line of P-40 fighters in quarter scale. There are grandiose plans for so many  different versions.

Many blue moons ago in the monthly internet INFO article the boss was explaining how he so easily falls in love with some subjects, concentrates everything on them, but at the same time new projects come along and the focus of love suddenly shifts to the new project only to be overruled soon by a yet another love. . .   There have been started projects so many times, many of them were abandoned after some kits leaving only future promises of kits which never materialize. While new fantastic lines of kits come along superseding everything before and the aftermarket company having only limited design and production capacity overrides everything, things fade away . . .

. . . and then comes new love, new dreams.

What will become of them eventually is another question.

Best regards

Gabor  

If you are talking about Vladimir Sulc, he has said in so many words that they (Eduard) intend to do every major fighter type, in a complete family for each, that participated in WWII.

That certainly is not true in the case of the Spitfire, which neglects the PR versions (particularly the PR.XI) and the Mk.XIV.  I doubt it will be true of other types as well, but they do seem intent on finishing the Zero lineup.  I don’t know if we will see any of the lesser versions of the Wildcat in the form of the Martlet, but possibly.

I would love to see them tackle the P-40, especially now that they have the incredible GWH 1/32 P-40B/C/Tomahawk to copy from.  

Here is what was said on that Czech forum. No editing, just a screen shoot of the forum with machine translation. Three posts about the subject in chronological order.

2pyvYxg.jpg

UFFgjkA.jpg

hEENuMa.jpg

Concerning the dreams and previous forgotten loves, it has been a decade since the line of 48th scale MiG-21’s was to include the first MiG-21F-13 version and the twoseater trainers. Always put off, postponed, due to this or that deleted, delayed. . .  

Years 6 or 7 since the quarter scale MiG-15 was promised with similar results.

The 72nd Revolutions MiG-21 family disappearing into fog after just few releases with many versions while promissed going into forgotten dream category.

As mentioned above Spitfire and many other "Family lines" getting “rescheduled” as new loves come along . . .

Best regards

Gabor

The Su-25 will be the soviet kit in 48th of course. It has been draging for some time, just as a similar re-pack of a Mi-17 kit. As for the moment the kit plastics for the Hip are not decided but there is a strong chance that the boss will go for the soviet kit and ignore the possible use of sprues from the local Czech Annetra. So much for . . .

But getting back to the subject of the P-40, surely it will be a nice kit (if one like this sort of thing) with the usual treatment of making it almost good, but leaving a lot of space for the aftermarkets already planed / designed into the kit.

Of course if G.W.H will not produce a down scale version of the 32nd scale kit into 48th. Looking at trends there is a chance for this. 

Best regards

Gabor

The Hasegawa kits are still quite nice, although the inserts were really troublesome to deal with. The rear cockpit insert especially was a pain to blend into the rest of the fuselage. Eduard tackling the Warhawk and Tomahawk line would be most welcome. I hope they keep the fuselage halves as one piece.

As others have said the Merlin-powered Warhawks have been neglected, save for the old AM-Tech kit from way back and that was just an AMT kit with a resin Merlin nose added in the box. I have a soft spot for P-40s in desert schemes, especially if they have sharkmouths! 

I wonder how they will tackle the oil cooler intake in the chin. That is one area tricky to get right in plastic. 

Even though the P-51 stole the show from it later on in the war, lots of people still consider Curtiss's Hawks the iconic American fighter of WWII.

Little further on the new / planned / worked on P-40 kit. In the past week there was a comment that it will be next in line and also suggestions that earliest in a year or little more.

Here as it is directly, just English automatic translation about which version will be first and aprx when & some later versions. 

CqZpjOv.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

It is called news on the subject, in this case the new planned P-40 kits in 48th scale.

Developments, continuation, up date of a news, what can be expected, which versions will be made and aprox when. Nothing more. 

Best regards

Gabor

On 8/7/2023 at 2:31 AM, Miramar Road said:

The Hasegawa kits are still quite nice, although the inserts were really troublesome to deal with. The rear cockpit insert especially was a pain to blend into the rest of the fuselage. Eduard tackling the Warhawk and Tomahawk line would be most welcome. I hope they keep the fuselage halves as one piece.

As others have said the Merlin-powered Warhawks have been neglected, save for the old AM-Tech kit from way back and that was just an AMT kit with a resin Merlin nose added in the box. I have a soft spot for P-40s in desert schemes, especially if they have sharkmouths! 

I wonder how they will tackle the oil cooler intake in the chin. That is one area tricky to get right in plastic. 

Even though the P-51 stole the show from it later on in the war, lots of people still consider Curtiss's Hawks the iconic American fighter of WWII.

Not many, but pit a P-40N against a P-51D, and the winner would very often not be the one most think... Hit and run required an unaware target and basically firing at point-blank range. Speed was not at all the dominant factor historians have retained. But of course the range was...

The Hasegawa has a much too wide windscreen center glass, and an inaccurate radiator bottom profile, a very prominent signature feature. The Eduard kit is badly needed just for a better prop on its own. 

On 8/14/2023 at 5:19 PM, Robertson said:

Not many, but pit a P-40N against a P-51D, and the winner would very often not be the one most think... Hit and run required an unaware target and basically firing at point-blank range. Speed was not at all the dominant factor historians have retained. But of course the range was...

The Hasegawa has a much too wide windscreen center glass, and an inaccurate radiator bottom profile, a very prominent signature feature. The Eduard kit is badly needed just for a better prop on its own. 

I think you have a tendency to use subjective phrases like "much too wide." How wide is much too wide? How about telling us how many mm too wide?

I have to wonder if anyone out 

13 hours ago, seawinder said:

I think you have a tendency to use subjective phrases like "much too wide." How wide is much too wide? How about telling us how many mm too wide?

Enough to look like this. I have to wonder if anyone out there ever looks at what kits are doing with our efforts... The one I really hate though is the Tamiya 1/48 P-47. 20 years of hearing people rave about it, and it's no better than what you see below... Thank God because of Dora Wings and Mini Art it will soon be over.

P-40N_Warhawk.jpg.66700d17adf270e4497c7a39da3f26b3.jpg1961396775_P40N-08Hasegawa.thumb.jpg.d8263b6744177afac144a1711c314b7a.jpg

P-40N_Warhawk.jpg

P40N-08 Hasegawa.jpg

Edited by Robertson
1 hour ago, Buckmeister said:

I don’t understand what you’re trying to show with those photographs.  

I believe he's trying to show that the Hasegawa windscreen is "much too wide." I might go along with "slightly too wide," but otherwise I'm not seeing it.

2 hours ago, Buckmeister said:

Those two photographs don’t show anything.  One has the canopy closed, one is a model with the canopy open.  

Windscreen center section, horizontal width; the canopy is irrelevant. Check out his post on Monday at 5:19 p.m.

Apparently Eduard has done laser scanning of the P-40K and P-40N of Mid America Flight Museum, TX. Story on Eduard's FB page 6 days ago for those who want to look it up. 

Hence Eduard is serious about the P-40 series. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

why not go with the P-40B after the E,  as it and the P-40E are  the most famous for the Flying Tigers and would sell the most kits wouldn't they?

Their strategy is to make as much money as possible with the kit.  And since people are impatient and impulsive, manufacturers almost always do the least desirable version(s) first, knowing that impatient, impulsive people will buy them even if they don't really want them, and knowing that when the version(s) they really want come out later, they will purchase them as well.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:25 AM, ya-gabor said:

The Su-25 will be the soviet kit in 48th of course. It has been draging for some time, just as a similar re-pack of a Mi-17 kit. As for the moment the kit plastics for the Hip are not decided but there is a strong chance that the boss will go for the soviet kit and ignore the possible use of sprues from the local Czech Annetra. So much for . . .

But getting back to the subject of the P-40, surely it will be a nice kit (if one like this sort of thing) with the usual treatment of making it almost good, but leaving a lot of space for the aftermarkets already planed / designed into the kit.

Of course if G.W.H will not produce a down scale version of the 32nd scale kit into 48th. Looking at trends there is a chance for this. 

Best regards

Gabor

I want a SU-25SM, it is of course impossible to get the Arma Models conversion kit, I wish to build the Syrian campaign Roman Filipov Blue 06

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2023 at 3:14 AM, Buckmeister said:

I don’t understand what you’re trying to show with those photographs.  

The worst part is, I know you are not joking. It must be a left brain right brain kind of thing.