Haha! That was me. Here’s the exact conversation. Me: “ I’ll bet you guys never get asked if you’re going to do an F-4C or D”. Tam guys chuckling: “Other variants were being worked on but the F-35 had to be done.” So, at least they admit there was an effort. What that turns in to remains to be seen but I’m betting we’ll see “other variants” sooner rather than later.

My (totally groundless) prediction for what Tamiya has in store for us next: a “carrier launch scene” F-4N with extended NLG strut, a new wing with dropped high lift devices, deck crewmen and a printed cardboard base, similar in concept to their latest Tomcat release. Of course I’m hoping for something more substantial like a C/D or J.

X9ECHko.jpg

Edited by RichB63

Not sure about any specific J parts, but for sure my F-4B has some F-4C or D parts in the box.  I didn’t notice it until it was pointed out in a FaceBook group, but the F-4C or D landing light that is in the nose gear forward door is there, and the Air Force type bottom ejection seat pad is in there too.

The inclusion of additional parts that hint at future variants, while encouraging, represent just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the scope of new tooling required to produce an F-4C/D or J, much less a long nose version like the E.

But, clearly, Tamiya have left the door open. And this fact was further reinforced with information gleaned by @BillS over the weekend.

Here’s hoping!

Edited by RichB63
3 hours ago, Buckmeister said:

Not sure about any specific J parts…

There’s at least one hint at accommodating an F-4J, and that’s the inclusion of a second option for the cooling air intake at the base of the vertical stab, a feature of the J and other variants equipped with more powerful engines.

Part Q3 below:

UfcVdm1.jpg

Edited by RichB63
14 minutes ago, Buckmeister said:

F-14B maybe. But when was the last time Tamiya did a new version of an existing kit 15+ years later?

There have been a few…in 1/48: F-14D and Late A, P-38 variants, new tool Spitfire Mk1.

Edit: May have misunderstood the question. If so then disregard, although the Spitfire might still apply 🤔

Edited by RichB63