1/200 "Man in Space" rockets and Space Shuttle display

1/200 scale "Man in Space" rocket set with Lindberg 1/200 Space Shuttle. The 1/200 scale SR-71 is a metal kit (there for scale). My friend 3D printed the Apollo astronaut.

This set nearly destroyed me. You're looking at almost a decade of on/off work. I used an after market decal set for the rockets. All of the photographic roll patterns were masked and painted by hand. The Space Shuttle SRB paint job nearly put me in a padded cell. The Shuttle came out OK but I over did it with the upper tile markings. It's not perfect but it is a cool looking display.

IMG-4843.jpg

IMG_3833.jpgIMG-4846.jpg

"Cool-looking"?? At that scale, your 3d photo, on my -I don't know, 20" monitor? - is at least 10 times actual size. That astronaut is only 1/3" tall at 1/200. You must have painted the details with the point of a pin. Cool just doesn't begin to describe how cool this is. Outstanding! is more what I'd say.

It certainly is a nice looking display!

I took mine out of my stash last January and built the rockets and when it came time to decal 'em, the old decals from Tango Papa disintegrated and I, frustratedly, just put 'em all back in the box ... I emailed Tango Papa for a new set o' decals,, or whoever owns it now, and they never responded ...  ;^ (

Whose decals did you use? Maybe I can finish this kit this Winter?

It does look like you had fun building these!

Pete

On 10/22/2023 at 5:09 PM, habu2 said:

Nice. I have the AMT kit(s), what are your thoughts on the Lindberg shuttle kit?

The kit itself is fine; no major issues.  Typical filing here and there.  I had fun building it.

15 hours ago, K2Pete said:

It certainly is a nice looking display!

I took mine out of my stash last January and built the rockets and when it came time to decal 'em, the old decals from Tango Papa disintegrated and I, frustratedly, just put 'em all back in the box ... I emailed Tango Papa for a new set o' decals,, or whoever owns it now, and they never responded ...  ;^ (

Whose decals did you use? Maybe I can finish this kit this Winter?

It does look like you had fun building these!

Pete

I used the Indycals AMT Man in Space decal set.  I also used some of the decals from the AMT set.

On 10/23/2023 at 7:57 PM, SpacecraftGuy said:

"Cool-looking"?? At that scale, your 3d photo, on my -I don't know, 20" monitor? - is at least 10 times actual size. That astronaut is only 1/3" tall at 1/200. You must have painted the details with the point of a pin. Cool just doesn't begin to describe how cool this is. Outstanding! is more what I'd say.

Yeah, the astronaut is a small guy!  I glued him down to the head of a thumb tack just so I wouldn't lose him.

IMG-3353.jpg

Love it, what a great looking collection! I'm really asking myself now why I decided to improve the kits in this set and still trying to remove all the faults they have. I have the Saturn V on my desk for month and can't get myself to build it... The set looks awesome, even straight OOB!

Question: Where the tile decals of the shuttle included in the Lindberg kit?

13 minutes ago, Pilotace said:

Love it, what a great looking collection! I'm really asking myself now why I decided to improve the kits in this set and still trying to remove all the faults they have. I have the Saturn V on my desk for month and can't get myself to build it... The set looks awesome, even straight OOB!

Question: Where the tile decals of the shuttle included in the Lindberg kit?

No tile decals are included.  The recessed tiles line were filled in with an ink technical pen I use to fill in panel lines.  

Like I said in the opening post I over did it with the tile panel lines.  But after so much time I just called it good enough and let it be.

IMG_2404.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ordered the Indycal decals today, and am soaking my ancient AMTset in EasyOff as I type. It'll be a while before I can get back to modelling, but you are still a bad, bad influence. I've no idea where my 1/200 shuttle is, but I did get the 1/200 Artemis for Christmas, so some reworking of the base will be in order.  One thing I noticed on my old set, besides all the incaccurate details that I never fixed, is something that I did fix. The Redstone part of the MR is not long enough. At 1/200 scale, you need to add approx. 12.7mm to bring the booster to the correct length. Allways says it's 718" from somewhere near the base of the booster to the bottom of the capsule.  I think AMT forgot and used the length of the unmanned satellite launcher. Probably a lousey time to bring that up...