Italeri 1/48 SR-71A Blackbird - renovation project

Both engine bays re-attached.

I thought I could correct the fit of especially the right engine bay, the fit is so terribly bad.

Looks like I have to start filling differently, with stretched sprue and a lot of putty.

Anyway, the Sled gets her shape back.

IMG_2692.jpeg

IMG_2693.jpeg

IMG_2694.jpeg

Short update: both tails are on, and filled the gaps with putty.

Also the canopies and the windscreen have been glued on, after being masked. The gaps around the canopies have also been filled with putty.

Next is a first black primer to discover any deviations and correct where needed, before really doing the right color on the Bird.

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

9 hours ago, utley said:

You going to keep gear up or down? Looks good so far!

She will have gear down, front gear has to be installed but first to

be modified.

Main gears were already glued in strongly 30 years ago, so did not want to break those.

The moment you discover that the front control stick is still tidy attached to the box with parts, and the canopy is glued in place … 🤦🏼‍♂️

Anyway, it could not have been seen after all so no big drama.

IMG_2830.jpeg

Acc Eduard instructions, the new photo etched grilles should be placed over the kits’ grilles, by filling them first with putty.

However, they don’t align with the surface, and are just a little higher.

I found this thread of another build where original grilles were cut out so that nee ones could be placed inside, and align with a smooth surface.

Worth a shot?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027443-i-couldnt-resist-sr-71a-blackbird/page/2/

IMG_2831.jpeg

IMG_2832.jpeg

On 2/25/2024 at 8:49 PM, BastianD said:

The moment you discover that the front control stick is still tidy attached to the box with parts, and the canopy is glued in place … 🤦🏼‍♂️

Anyway, it could not have been seen after all so no big drama.

Oh, I've seen that one. There was this bald guy that controlled it with his thought. Or was that dirty Harry in a russian jet? It must have been on tv, so it must have been real.

Restoration is looking pretty good.

1 hour ago, Thadeus said:

Oh, I've seen that one. There was this bald guy that controlled it with his thought. Or was that dirty Harry in a russian jet? It must have been on tv, so it must have been real.

Restoration is looking pretty good.

Dirty Harry in a slender sleek black Jet sounds like a different category 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Not so happy yet with the appearance of the grilles on the engines. They would give a far better picture if they are open from underneath.

Im going to take 1 off and try to make it open underneath to see the difference.

At least somebody did it before… 🤔 

IMG_2900.jpeg

Yeah Id think those should be slightly recessed in and somewhat flush. As for the vents being open, why not use a .02mm drill bit and open the holes up? Use a pin to layout the holes?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, utley said:

Yeah Id think those should be slightly recessed in and somewhat flush. As for the vents being open, why not use a .02mm drill bit and open the holes up? Use a pin to layout the holes?

Exactly, but leave some borders a little recessed so the grilles can rest on those borders and end up smoothly with the skin.

Edited by BastianD