MRC needs photos of two particular CH-53E helos.

I've a number of shots of another of HC-4's aircraft, taken in 1990, as seen in Gunny Dan's thread here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/315875-h-53-reference-photos-for-2020/&do=findComment&comment=3032200

Though it didn't carry the 'Black Stallions' markings on the fuel tanks at the time, it did later.

Edited by andyf117

Ok, 

‘The picture above was taken during Desert Storm. The aircraft was apart of HMH-464 out of MCAS New River. ‘The Condors”. This airplane is BuNo 162001 (MSN 65478), it was off the USS Guadalcanal, and the photo was taken by then Captain Rick Mullen, a squadron pilot with HMH-464.  Col Mullen informed me it was taken during Operation “Lonesome Dove”. 

The crew chief of this airplane was Ken Breiner. Along with the shark mouth, and the storm trooper art, it had “free Kuwait” painted on the belly.  Ken provided me a picture of him next to his aircraft as well.  The aux-tank art is on both sides.  The gray nose end with the lightning bolt. 

squadron: HMH-464

BuNo: 162001

EN-17

MAG: MAG-29

MCAS New River

circa 1991

Kuwait/Iraq desert
Operation: Lonesome Dove

If Academy/MRC is going to do this airplane it not just the decals that need to be done. This is an early CH-53E. It has the original tail rotor hub, early tail rotor blades with BIM indicators on them. Early UHF antenna placement. Early upper rotator in red, early lower rotator on belly long glass and in orange.  HF long wire antenna installed. Early and late APR-39 indicators, appears the airframes change for the AAR-47 is on the nose but not installed, aircraft in the background does not have it yet. If they want more details I certainly would help. 

These kits going on the greedbay for well over $350 is criminal. But, people pay what they pay.  I have a couple stashed. 
Hope this helps. 

Gunny Dan. 

IMG_7018.jpeg

IMG_3517.jpeg

IMG_3702.jpeg

12 hours ago, YF65_CH53E said:

Ok, 

‘The picture above was taken during Desert Storm. The aircraft was apart of HMH-464 out of MCAS New River. ‘The Condors”. This airplane is BuNo 162001 (MSN 65478),

Interesting. 162001 is the Echo that picked up Capt O'Grady

4 hours ago, mike_45 said:

Ya know, I feel good about my one Academy MH-53E and two CH-53E's I have in my stash and then Gunny pastes his stash pic and its like...ok then.  I will go sit in the corner of shame over there.  🤣

Sorry Mike,

My name is Dan....and I am a CH-53-aholic........is this right meeting?

😆

My name is Andy, and I'm a helo-holic...

....it's only been nine hours since my last rotary-wing 'fix' - my current bed-time reading is 'RAF Helicopters, The First Twenty Years'...

I can almost match Gunny Dan with regard to 1/72 H-53 kits - I've got 15 Airfix/Italeri/Revell on my shelves...

....making them almost 10% of the 150+ choppers I have in the stash, awaiting re-build/restoration, and built!

@modelersc - if larger versions of my HC-4 photos would help, I can re-scan at a higher resolution to make them bigger...

Edited by andyf117
9 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

I think Gunny's aiming to build a whole MAW's worth of Echoes lol

I am sure after the next release Gunny will have the allotment of all Echoes under Force Design 2030. 

Welcome to the meeting Dan. 

4 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Hello Mr. Andy

Those two photos came from Academy's Brass as their choices for the (...ahem...) "possible" new release of the CH-53E kit. I'm pushing for a couple more schemes as well as some added 3D parts like the newest missile jammer for the pylons. I understand that neither of those chosen schemes use that jammer, hence the recommendation for a couple more modern schemes.

I'm open to suggestions so is there anything else you fellow enthusiasts would like to see improved or added to the kit? No promises but ideas will be presented to Academy. So long story-short Mr. Andy, if you've got a better photo that would certainly help.

Thanks

1 hour ago, modelersc said:

Hello Mr. Andy

Those two photos came from Academy's Brass as their choices for the (...ahem...) "possible" new release of the CH-53E kit. I'm pushing for a couple more schemes as well as some added 3D parts like the newest missile jammer for the pylons. I understand that neither of those chosen schemes use that jammer, hence the recommendation for a couple more modern schemes.

I'm open to suggestions so is there anything else you fellow enthusiasts would like to see improved or added to the kit? No promises but ideas will be presented to Academy. So long story-short Mr. Andy, if you've got a better photo that would certainly help.

Thanks

Sherman,

First, Happy Thanksgiving and good to see you posting again. Hope all is well on your end. Well, I'm glad they've finally come around to considering a rerelease of the kit. I was introduced to, and spoke to MRC's 'Brass' at the Nats in Omaha about the kit and they completely blew me off. Oh well.

If there is anything I can help with again, drop me a line at : flyingleathernecks@att.net

Dave

3 hours ago, modelersc said:

Hello Mr. Andy

Thanks

Though nose and tail RWR detectors were fitted to HC-4's CH-53Es during 1991, I don't believe that the Navy's machines ever carried any pylon jammers - pretty certain those were exclusive to the Marines' Echos and AFSOC's Pave Low MH-53Js at later dates; the CH-53Es of the 'Black Stallions' were replaced by MH-53Es in 1995, quite some time before the jammers which you're referring to ever came into use, so yes, you'd need much more modern schemes if those are to be included, which would therefore only be for Marine Corps aircraft...

Edited by andyf117