Who wants a Wedgetail?

Me, me, me, me!!  It looks like BPK is taking pre-orders for their 1/72nd scale E-7 Wedgetail kit. I've been waiting for this one! The second image is not an actual photo as the USAF is not scheduled to even have prototypes until 2027. But the Aussies, South Korea and Turkey are already flying them. Don't be surprised if more countries don't get them too. Another cool subject from BPK! Fred K.

https://bigplaneskits.com/shop/big-planes-kits/e-7a/

GOXeZjoqR2mORR1AUVRrzWlCQaVooaErPlBV4J6Z.vtqu.jpg

e-7boeing-boeing_concept_promo.jpg

2 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Don't forget the UK are also getting 3 airframes.

I have the Welsh Models kit which will do fine for me ( for now 😄 )

Yup, NATO too. Fred.

9 minutes ago, Alternative 4 said:

It's crazy to me that I saw the RAAF's first Wedgetail at an Airshow way back in 2005, but the USAF is only just procuring the airframe now.

Indeed, and they're peeing their pants to get them too. They're praying that the E-3 fleet holds together for a few more years, as their reported availability rate drops below 60%. Nothing that I've read gives any reason as to why the USAF has waited so long to procure the Wedgetail though. Don't know 🤔 Fred.

2 hours ago, f5guy said:

Indeed, and they're peeing their pants to get them too. They're praying that the E-3 fleet holds together for a few more years, as their reported availability rate drops below 60%. Nothing that I've read gives any reason as to why the USAF has waited so long to procure the Wedgetail though. Don't know 🤔 Fred.

Money, B-21, F-35 and multiple contingencies drained the bank.

The trainer fleet is in the same sad shape.

Look at all the procurement programs going on now, C-130J, KC-46, MH-139, T-7, F-35, F-15, B-21, E-7.  Plus upgrades to a bunch of other airframes.  Classic rob Peter to pay Paul scenario.

8 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Guess I'll have to buy another couple BPK kits! I've got to get the C-40 and I've got the T-43 and built the P-8 Poseidon. And I'll need another shelf.😐

I watched a couple of Youtube build video's on the P-8 Poseidon, and it looks like its a challenging kit. I was planning on getting one, but now I am not so sure. 

Edited by Robert Garelli
9 hours ago, Da SWO said:

Money, B-21, F-35 and multiple contingencies drained the bank.

The trainer fleet is in the same sad shape.

Look at all the procurement programs going on now, C-130J, KC-46, MH-139, T-7, F-35, F-15, B-21, E-7.  Plus upgrades to a bunch of other airframes.  Classic rob Peter to pay Paul scenario.

That sounds about right.....

9 hours ago, Robert Garelli said:

I watched a couple of Youtube build video's on the P-8 Poseidon, and it looks like its a challenging kit. I was planning on getting one, but now I am not so sure. 

Hi Robert,

Don't let a couple of video's scare you off from building any of the BPK 737 kits. Yes, they are large, and no they don't fit like Tamiya. They will take some work, mostly trimming and test fitting parts, but do go together well enough. There is a lot of sanding due to their size. Check out the link below for my build of the 737-800. The biggest problems that I had were the clear window inserts, and painting gloss white. Both of which you won't have to contend with when building the Poseidon. Just about every other issue was of my own making in trying to learn how to paint airliners. They are most impressive when finished, and I've personally found that more challenging kits like these are some of my most rewarding builds. Give the Poseidon a shot! Fred K.

10 hours ago, f5guy said:

Hi Robert,

Don't let a couple of video's scare you off from building any of the BPK 737 kits. Yes, they are large, and no they don't fit like Tamiya. They will take some work, mostly trimming and test fitting parts, but do go together well enough. There is a lot of sanding due to their size. Check out the link below for my build of the 737-800. The biggest problems that I had were the clear window inserts, and painting gloss white. Both of which you won't have to contend with when building the Poseidon. Just about every other issue was of my own making in trying to learn how to paint airliners. They are most impressive when finished, and I've personally found that more challenging kits like these are some of my most rewarding builds. Give the Poseidon a shot! Fred K.

I most likely will give in at some point and get one, it was just when  you watch and read some of the build blogs, makes you wonder if you actually want to tackle it. But at least people are building them, so it has to be doable.