This kit is a bit of a turd.  Only the canopy, fuselage halves, MLG doors, and vertical stabs are being used.  Everything else is either scratchbuilt, printed, stolen from another kit with heavy modifications.  

IMG_5788.jpeg

IMG_5516.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5502.jpeg

IMG_5501.jpeg

IMG_5391.jpeg

IMG_5491.jpeg

IMG_5393.jpeg

IMG_5371.jpeg

IMG_5340.jpeg

IMG_5806.jpeg

IMG_5840.jpeg

IMG_5869.jpeg

IMG_5995.jpeg

IMG_6115.jpeg

IMG_6120.jpeg

IMG_6121.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Ooo, that’s nice! A subject you don’t see everyday, from a manufacturer long defunct. I love all of the improvements.

The 3D printed motors are most impressive.

Well done!

Rich

Edited by RichB63

Marvelous! You are doing a great job sculpting a masterpiece from that resin chunk. The engine fooled me as a pic of the real one.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving along with this thing and almost ready for decals.  The canopy and gear are done, with the nose gear still to attach.  I scratchbuilt the front gear doors and skinning the mains with styrene to clean up the roughness of the kit parts. 

The seat is from an Aires F-106. The wheels hit the deck at a -5 degree camber, so I made a jig to correctly align them.  

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

IMG_6323.jpeg

IMG_6322.jpeg

IMG_6314.jpeg

IMG_6313.jpeg

IMG_6276.jpeg

IMG_6279.jpeg

IMG_6275.jpeg

IMG_6274.jpeg

Hi swimmer,

Oh, I fancy one of these myself.

This is the craft in which Steve Austin almost perished, said my husband... It goes to show how old he is.

Very nice work making the kit better, tho.

Following this build.

Cheers,

Gwen

3 minutes ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi swimmer,

Oh, I fancy one of these myself.

This is the craft in which Steve Austin almost perished, said my husband... It goes to show how old he is.

Very nice work making the kit better, tho.

Following this build.

Cheers,

Gwen

Thanks Gwen.

Col Austin was filmed standing in the HL-10, which was later shown in the opening credits being launched from the NB-52.  The crash was actually the M2F2, which was re-built as the M2F3.  The X-24A wasn't part of the TV show.

Chris 

6 Mill.jpg

M2-F2-Crash-SBside-BW.jpg

On 5/27/2024 at 11:51 AM, swimmer25k said:

Col Austin was filmed standing in the HL-10, which was later shown in the opening credits being launched from the NB-52.  The crash was actually the M2F2, which was re-built as the M2F3.  The X-24A wasn't part of the TV show.

Hi Chris,

The husband stood corrected 😄😁

Cheers,

Gwen

Hi Chris, old Texas IPMS colleague Mark Robbins here;  I wonder how/where you made that incredible Edwards dry lake base!

I had just built the Special Hobby 1/48 D-558-1 and had to settle for a dyed plaster "sand"; having worked at Edwards your base is amazing.  Please let me know your technique--

Mark

6 minutes ago, Robb5986 said:

Hi Chris, old Texas IPMS colleague Mark Robbins here;  I wonder how/where you made that incredible Edwards dry lake base!

I had just built the Special Hobby 1/48 D-558-1 and had to settle for a dyed plaster "sand"; having worked at Edwards your base is amazing.  Please let me know your technique--

Mark

Mark,

I use a base if 1/8” PVC sheet sprayed with a Gunze dark earth.  On top of that is a layer of AK light/dry crackle effects.  This was my third attempt at it.  Too thin and not much will happen and too thick you’ll get deeper crevices.  Once applied I put it outside to dry in the natural heat.  

IMG_6383.jpeg

Thanks so much, Chris.  Beautiful effect.  Am going to get some supplies tomorrow and experiment with this technique.  I've stood on the real stuff, and you've nailed the dry lake detail better than I've ever seen.  Cheers, buddy.