1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

• 4 weeks later...

The booms are back! Despite the promises of paint I have decided to get a few more sub-assemblies finshed. These are shot of the right boom with skins added. As always there are a few more details to be added. I'm going to get the other boom skinned and then build the horizontal stabilizer. I found that I will need to get the booms fit to the wing, before I can continue the painting.

Timmy!

boomskin4hp6.jpg

boomskin8yd2.jpg

boomskin3gn5.jpg

boomskin2qi2.jpg

boomskin5bx1.jpg

boomskin7zw7.jpg

boomskin6vd1.jpg

boomskin1ta2.jpg

Thanks for the exceptionally kind words. All too much though, I'm just taking this modeling hobby way too seriously! :yahoo:

Timmy!

I thought it was us Brits that are supposed to be the masters of understatement ! - Incredible work (I may have said this before !)

Ian

I almost can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The following represents the last of the major construction - the horizontal stabilizer. Here are the step for its completion.

First the skeleton is made with brass tubes and ribs. The tubes are set in a simple jig to keep twist out of the stab. For this part only the two outside most ribs need to be placed exactly, the rest were "evenly" spaced by eye.

stab7lg4.jpg

Strips of plastic were cut to fit along the leading edge. Which gives stability and will be a gluing surface for the skin.

stab6bs4.jpg

Strips of 1/16" balsa are added to fill the gaps and sanded smooth. A strip of plastic is glued on the leading edge to aid in the skinning process.

stab5gb8.jpg

The balsa is "hardened by coating it with thin super glue. The glue will easily soak into the balsa making it much more rigid and giving it a hard surface. Filler was then applied and sanded smooth.

stab4yo8.jpg

The core is then sheeted with plastic and the leading edge sanded smooth.

stab3uy2.jpg

Finally, as with the rest of the aircraft, aluminum sheet finishes the construction.

stab2xm4.jpg

stab1nc3.jpg

Lots of details to go, but it is going to have all the major parts together soon!

Timmy!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys. I am aware that this not very exciting stuff! I'm sure many of you are saying "Rudder..WOOOO HOOO!" ;)

But here are the pics anyway. Rudders are complete plus the "simulated" cap on the vertical fin, antenna mount and APR-39 mount have been completed.

rudder1zu2.jpg

rudder4jd5.jpg

rudder6mo7.jpg

rudder5op8.jpg

That is all for now. I have to do a little "tune-up" on the boom to wing joint, but I hope to be gatting some paint on this weekend.

Timmy!

Um, sir, another request...

could you post some diagrams for the LW-3B ejection seats?

I'm starting my 1/32 card model build to test the details That I'll scratchbuild for academy's kits...

thanks!!!

Hans,

Have you seen these? I used these photos as the basis for my seat research.

Front

Right Side

Back

3/4 View

Bulkhead

Hope those help - I'll see what I can do about drawings.

Timmy!

Awesome Timmy. Your updates are my addiction!

It's good to have loyal fans :woot.gif:

Awesome project.....I just read trhough the whole post and I am really impresed with your work. Makes me which I had more free time so I could atempt some scratch building.

Look foward to seing your progress.

Thanks for the support. It's not like I have a lot of free time - check out the date of the first posting and add a year or so to that for the actual start date. Paint soon - I'm really looking forward to that day.

Hans,

Have you seen these? I used these photos as the basis for my seat research.

Front

Right Side

Back

3/4 View

Bulkhead

Hope those help - I'll see what I can do about drawings.

Timmy!

Yup I've seen those sir, but there are some items there that I can't make up to...

your build of the seats are also helping me a lot, because you've shown how the seats are broken up into...

but drawings are a big boost for the build I'm doing...

Thanks a bunch again sir!!!