Your favorite way to enhance panel lines

What is your favorite way to enhance panel lines  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite way to enhance panel lines

• Pre-shade
    • Post-shade
    • Oil wash/sludge wash
    • Pastel chalk

:) I do some preshading, especially on lighter colored airframes. I like the look you can get from post-shading. I look at it as shading and weathering in all one operation. :D Ivan

isn't it almost always a combination of all?

usually i'll preshade the panel lines, post shade the centre of the panels a lighter colour AND use and oil wash.. pastels then follow for dirt streaks

You are correct... maybe I should have been more specific. if you had one to do what would you choose. My thought is I would always do an oil wash, but I wouldn't sludge it on if I had done a pre shade or post shade. Same thing with pastels.

I use all the techniques but always enjoy the results of pastels the most. I feel I have more control of where i'm applying them, how much is applied and the overall effect (to me) is more natural.

In the end, it's really a personal preference. Try them all.

Oil wash or sludge wash of an appropriate colour forme.

Some modellers tend to use too heavy a wash making the plane look like a patchwork quilt or gridlines on a topo map!

Black (only rarely used) is entirely the wrong colour to use for a wash as it is far too stark. I prefer darker greys :woo:

Pastels are a great way to enhance raised lines and impart dirty streaks. They are nice and subtle and forgiving. If you stuff the work up, a simple washdown with a damp cloth will remove the offending section so you can start again.

:wave:

MikeJ