Hi guys,

this is my speed build, just to kick things off for me

Used a True Details cockpit purchased from squadron, should have done a bit more sanding, cos the fit wasn't that accurate (or like a glove, as someone said). Good detail all around though. I also used a bit of an airwaves photo-etched set meant for italeri, but works here as well to bring the gun vents to grills and adding mirrors to the canopy, plus canopy rails.

Everything else is out of the box, i have yet to add one lone sidewinder and the arresting hook. Decals went on nicely, though the white decals are a bit translucent.

I'm something like 30% on my academy tomcat, cos i'm reshaping the nose, so that'll be done in about 2 weeks time...

In the meantime, i hope you guys like it.

I forgot the most significant part of this build: to test out something i thought of for seamless intakes

First i prepainted the other colour in the intake. in this case, it was black.

I took a piece of paper, rolled it up, glued it to the base of the intakes and the fan face, put the top on, burnished it down and made the necessary creases to make it stay in shape, then drew with a pencil where the white part of intake would end. i then took out the top, cut the areas out, applied elmers glue, and put back the top, burnished the white paper down and let it dry. with careful application i was able to put the end of the white paper at the square corner of the intake, so it's not easily noticed.

I then applied putty to the seams not covered by the paper, took off the excess with nail polish remover, polished it a bit carefully with 1200 grit and 2000 grit paper, and used a brush to touch up the rest of the paint.

Took me something like 30 mins (minus waiting time for putty to dry) , no sanding involved. give it shot! i like the look, as no one really stares into the intakes, but when they do, they don't notice the paper and think it's really plastic. No hard areas to reach when sanding!

What's more, you can pre-weather the inside of the intake first as a flat piece of paper before putting it in...

Here's the result...

What was the total build time?

about 9-10 hours a day? estimates...

i rushed the future drying time as well (no wash to apply), so i went to sleep, came back and decaled away

so something like.. 50 hours or so would be a good guess. time passes fast in my modelling warp zone room :thumbsup: