Finally some progress to report!

Well, after waiting about two weeks for my CAM decals from Greatmodels, I finally got around to applying them over the weekend. I have attached the drop tanks and am in the process of detailing the gear. Will start doing some light weathering this weekend. However, I still have to build the kit supplied weapons. :thumbsup:

This is my first attempt to post pics here - I apologize in advance if it doesn't work! Very much in the learning process when it comes to digital pics!

Thanks for the kind remarks. Yes, it is painted overall gull grey. I have found very few pictures of this plane, and upon further research the past few nights, I think I'll be changing the carrier name to "USS Ranger" instead of Enterprise. I can't verify that VF-1 wore overall gull grey while on the Enterprise. If anyone knows, I would love to have a definitive answer. I did use CAM decals, some spare Fujimi and Hasegawa decals.

Here is one more pic.

Jward: your Cat is looking great!!!

One question: what program do you use for resizing the pictures? they seem to be quite deformed during the process.....

Please keep us posted with updates of this project!

/Kristian

Thanks for the kind remarks. I am using HP Photo and Imaging. Like I said, I'm very new at this digital photo stuff so any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! We bought the Canon Digital Rebel (6.2) and it takes fantastic pictures, but like you, I've been disappointed when trying to resize and keep the same sharpness! Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Jim

never say never,but i don't think the overall gull grey scheme was used by VF-1 during its three cruises on the USS Enterprise..

they did by the time of their first cruise on the Ranger...but for your model to be correct for that timeframe you have to change the codes from NK to NE...and the unit markings were very small in size....once the Navy started to subdue everything...

but that being said its a great looking Tomcat you have there,in markings for one of my favourite units too... :thumbsup:

cheers,

Gary

I have some photos of a VF-1 Tomcat from the USS Ranger which I took at an airshow in the early 80's. The markings are very different from what was used on the Enterprise. It's in overall gull gray and there are no unit markings on the forward fuselage. There are also no markings inside the vertical tails and the code is NE which is painted directly behind the wolf's head on the tail.

HTH,

Mike

I appreciate all the info the you guys have provided! This is truly why ARC is the best place to hang out! :cheers: Ray - I would love to see a copy of that photo someday. I knew that this build would not be the most accurate build in the history of F-14 models, but I'm happy with the results. I did this scheme for two reasons. First, I didn't want to tackle a two-tone scheme just yet. This is my fifth completed model in as many years, so I'm still trying to master some of the techniques I see on this site. Second, I have always loved VF-1 markings and got the idea for this scheme (overall gull grey) when I spoke to a former F-14 RIO (VF-31) who was "pretty sure" that he saw this scheme (or something similar) during his training. Maybe he was right??

Anyhow, it looks good to me and I learned far more than expected! Even my wife liked the markings - :o Now that's major progress in the model building world!! Thanks again for the info and I will post some pics when completed. B)

Jim

I have one photo of a VF-1 overall gull grey with USS Enterprise titles. So your model is accurate for SOME time frame. It's in the Airtime book on the F-14.

Cheers,

Roy

That it is! To be picky, the ventral strakes should be red with a white VF-1. Other than that, you're good to go. BTW, the timeframe is 1978-79, just before the 'Pack switched airwings.

:worship: :D :) Thanks for the info Darren and Roy! I will be painting the ventral strakes tonight - just need to make the white VF-1 lettering! And I don't consider your comment as "being picky" at all!! I really appreciate all the critique and help! I painted the strakes grey with the red border based on a photo that was taken during one of the Ranger cruises - hoping it was correct!

Anyway, I completed the gear over the weekend and just started the weapons last night. Hope to post more pics soon.

BTW - Darren, I really appreciate your article on building the Academy Tomcat! It was without a doubt right on the money! :thumbsup: Thanks again for the help!

Jim