It's been a while since I have been able to accomplish anything on this, so it was with great satisfaction I have been able to complete the basic forward cockpit interior. All the internal bracing and structure are in place, I have to do the rear cockpit yet, then begin making all the small details that go in place. The floor was a challenge, as the real aircraft has a grate look to the floor. I cut strips from .005 plastic and glued them on lengthwise, onto a piece of .010, then using a ruler, I sliced through perpendicular for the cross pieces and glued them in, so the strips were all the sane hieght. I have to do this for the bomb aimers position and rear cockpit yet.. oh joy. The Windsock Datafile has been invaluable with showing cockpit layout and bracing. Without it it would have all been guesswork.

Cheers

Mike

what scale is it, and is it a kit or scratch ?

Hi Robin,

It's 1/48th scale and it started life as an old K&B (Aurora molds) kit, but after I got going on it it has turned into more scratch than kit. The only kit parts left are the wing cores, and they were reskinned with embossed .010 wing skins. For the Fuselage I carved a master and had Pete Flieschman vacform me a new one. The kit's was too inaccurate in the cockpit area, plus I screwed up the kit fuselage halves anyways, so I bit the bullit and made a new one.

Today I was able to get the rear cockpit structure in place. I have to make the floors and controls yet. The rear cockpit had removable controls, and I will display it with the stick in place and the doors for the rudder pedals open, as they were beneat the floor on the real a/c. The paper pattern in the front is a copy from the Windsock Datafile I used. I cut it out and placed it over the fuse halves to place the framework pieces in the correct locations.

Cheers

Mike

:thumbsup: Hi Mike, that is certainly going to be some model, been looking through my library to see what the finished article looks like, without a great deal of luck, but from what I have found, I think it is going to be some size in 48th. I have just finished an Azur 1/72 Loire 130 flying boat, that was enough rigging for me. You have my greatest admiration in what you are doing.

:cheers:

Robin.

• 2 weeks later...
For the Fuselage I carved a master and had Pete Flieschman vacform me a new one.

Hi Mike!

...Thought I'd drop by and see what you were up too! Holy smoke man, this is looking excellent! Miek, your talent never ceases to amaze and impress me.

ya know, you did kind of mis-characterize our Vacuum forming session.

We did have a sudsy or two :blink: ! and it takes two peolple to run that crazy contraption... :thumbsup:

And speaking of that, You ought to show the boys your master pattern..that is a work of art in itself!

Regards,

Pig

Seeing as time has not been my own lately, I decided to play hookey from work and flog this beastie a little bit. I would like to get it finished by NOREASTCON in May, so I have my work cut out for me. Today I spent some more time on the interior structure, adding more framework and panels as needed. I have to make the bomb aimers floor and rear gunners floor and instrument board yet, then I can begin painting the interior and adding all the "fiddley bits". I checked the Control Wheel for fit, and buttoned it all up, set it in the assembly jig and scotchtaped and bubble gummed it all together so you can get an idea of the size of the model. The ruler in front is a 12 inch/ 300 mm scale for size reference. Not terribly big, but impressive enough to jump off the table. I plan on taking next week off from work to spend some time at it, so I should be able to make some good progress on it. Seeing as Old Man Winter has the North East US in a wintery death grip, there shouldn;t be anything to distract me. Until later.

Cheers

Mike

Do I detect a little softening in your rabid adherence to 1/70tooth Matt? :woo:

Not at all. It IS an awesome model. I was just poking fun at this whole site because there are always comments on the front page like "it's hard to believe this awesome model is in 1/72nd".

Just a little tongue-in-cheek. ;-)

No worries Matt. I know you well enough to know it's all in fun. I get a kick reading the "scale wars" on the ww1 list between you and a few of the others. I can take it as well as dish it too. I've seen some awesome 72nd models and can appreciate the work that goes into them. I prefer 48th mainly because I can't see that small and I suffer from FFS... Fat Finger Syndrome. In the end we all can appreciate each other's talents no matter what scale we build.

Mike

No worries Matt. I know you well enough to know it's all in fun. I get a kick reading the "scale wars" on the ww1 list between you and a few of the others. I can take it as well as dish it too. I've seen some awesome 72nd models and can appreciate the work that goes into them. I prefer 48th mainly because I can't see that small and I suffer from FFS... Fat Finger Syndrome. In the end we all can appreciate each other's talents no matter what scale we build.

:crying:

Mike

AMEN! However, that won't stop me from still doling out a ton of crap to those who build in the Heathen Scale, 1/48th. :crying:

Shaping up very nicely, Mr. King! I am glad you have found, or made, the time for it.

My own attraction to detailing 1/72 has in it elements of the old jest about the dog walking on two legs: it is not so much that Rover does it well, but that he does it all....

I took this week off from work to really apply some time to this beast in an attempt to get it done for the IPMS region 1 contest in May. It's going to be close, but I think I can pull it off. Today I got the rest of the interior structure done, Bomb Aimers and Rear Gunners Floors done, as well as cut out the Bomb Aimers windows in the front, and made a Fuel Tank front to conceal the wing plug. Tomorrow I should be able to begin painting the inside and shading it with pastels, and start making all the little details. I have the COntrol Yoke and Rudder Bars done, but I need to make the Throttels, Bomb Release controls and instrument Board, as well as Fuel Main Control Valve and the gun scarf rings. My goal by the end of the week is to have the fuselage together and painted, and ready to attach the wings and begin assembly.

Today I was able to get the interior painted and pasteled. I used ModelMaster Dessert Tan for the base wood color, and German RLM 81 mixed with white for the inside of the fabric areas. After all was painted, I used dark brown and black pastel chalks to highlite the wood strudture and provide some relief from the tan plywood areas. I added the internal bracing wires to the aft fabric covered areas, and glued all the floors in place. The Rudder Bar for the Gunners area is actually under the floor, with two small doors that open to allow the Gunner to place his feet on it. I will have these displayed open and the stowable Control Stick in place with the Lewis gun stowed. The tank is painted and glued in place, now I will start adding the fuel valve, throttle and mixture controls and make the Instrument Board. I hope to have it all buttoned up and ready for paint by this weeknd.

Cheers

Mike