The vertical tail were simply cut along the engraved line. Then I cleaned the parts by sanding and finally glued them in the new position. Very simple mod to do. The wing flaps were much more complicated and time consuming to do.

/Kristian

GREAT pictures!!!

They are very similar to the ones that inspired me. I don´t know if I can post them: they are from www.navy.mil but I cannot find them anymore on that site. They may be to old (2004....) but I guess that if I simply post them I may brake some copyright law....Any admin that feels like to answer?

/Kristian

I don´t know if I can post them: they are from www.navy.mil but I cannot find them anymore on that site. They may be to old (2004....) but I guess that if I simply post them I may brake some copyright law....Any admin that feels like to answer?

/Kristian

Any shots on navy.mil, af.mil, etc are official and public domain. Use them as much as you like. They are not copyrighted in the same way as private photos.

Jake

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi Denis and thanks for asking.

Not much has happened. The aircraft was basically already done at the time these pictures were taken. The carrier portion hasn't been touched in a long time now. I think I'd need to redo much of the work on that part. I don't really like the inaccuracies I made and the finish could be better. Also I am - just as I was at the time - concerned on how to safely balance the a/c on the two main wheels leaving the nose in the air without having everything just falling and crushing. My original idea was to insert a large pin in the main wheels to be pinned on the carried deck. This solution would have meant that everything would depend on the join between the MLG axel and wheel. Then considering this join being subject to torque made me - let's say - hesitate.

The problem is still unsolved. The best I could think of was to do as above, but add a clear rod in the tail area to add a third support for the aircraft. Well, we'll see what will happen.

First I need to finish my Gripen, my F-104G and maybe my Bone...

/Kristian

Hi Kristian,

Ya I can understand your apprehension. I hope you find a solution to balancing the plane. I guess this would be a case where leaving out the nose ballast would be a good option and try to make the center of gravity keep the nose up a little. Your idea of a pin sounds good, maybe try having the pin go thru the axel or put a groove in the axel? You could try on an old trashed model or on a spare set of gear.

Good luck.

-Denis

• 2 weeks later...

Hej Kristian!

Hadn't seen this project before, very interesting idea and it looks really good so far. :thumbsup:

Hope you find a solution to the problem, as you say a clear rod or similar might be the best way to go as the MLG probably would have problems to balance the weight of the model.

A quick update on the (PITA) work with safety nets.

IMG_0114_resize.jpg

IMG_0115_resize.jpg

And one showing the detail added so far to the underside:

IMG_0116_resize.jpg

/Kristian

Very nice work, but your net is incorrect according the pictures you have of the F-18 taking off. Your net is positioned on top of the railing, however, if you look closely on the picture, the actual net is on an angle on the bottom. Maybe other carriers have it the way you are doing it I do not know. If you are building according the picture you posted it is different. Great work though it looks fantastic and I am sure it will be a stunner when it is finished.

Hi Kristian,

I'm a little late jumping on this thread, but anyways I thought you might like these. I dont know if they will help, but here ya go anyways. And by the way, great build so far.

John.

030807-N-6213R-439.jpg

PoD5aug03.jpg

030813-N-6713R-056.jpg

Do you see what I am talking about? Look at the safety net in the first picture it is not attached straight across but attached downward.

That and the angle seams off to me. If you take it out to the corner of the deck then you need to angle the deck to match the front end. The way it's modeled now would make it so it has a square front end. This is a great idea thought ;-)

Jim

Hi guys,

thanks for your inputs. About the net, I do agree that in the last pictures the net is attached to the angled part. I would to have to go back to have a look at the pictures of CV-63 though, because that ship was different in many other ways. Look for instance at the angled bars: in the attached pictures they are connected to the vertical side of the deck. In the pictures of the ship I was trying to recreate they were connected to vertical "lips" protruding below the underside of the deck.

About the angles. I would need to check that out as well.

The sad news is - in any case - that this project has been sitting still in its box for years now, and I feel much more interest in many other that I have on my bench right now. Maybe one day I'll finish it, who knows, but I will probably need to redo entirely the whole deck, since the more I look at it, the more I feel like throwing it in the bin...

/Kristian