Michael, from the photos, I can't quite tell where the GPS dome is. Which panel? Is it the one in this photo? Is there any kind of mounting plate?

Jake

Jake, going by the instructions for CEs 1/48 Ra'am conversion, the dome should be forward of the panel line by your arrow, not behind where the point of the arrow is. I'll see if I can scrounge a pic somewhere.

B-E-A-UTIFUL F-15 you got there.

I really like the rear seat and intake covers, nice touch.(although at first i thought you'd forgotten to remove your Tamiya masking tape :unsure: )

Fantastic build, well done , and thanks for sharing.

regards,

Mike.

re.

hatchet's got ya covered, Jake! He is right on the money.

There is no mounting plate. The dome just sits flush with the skin. To make it, just dab a "drop" of good ol' Testors gray tube putty in the appropriate area, let it dry for a few minutes, & come back and flatten the top of the dome. Just like for raised detail in cockpits, a new pencil eraser works great for the last step. Then you brush a little 36375 on it & you got yourself an EGI antenna. Also of note is that the real thing is just 4 or 5 inches in diameter, so your putty drop shouldn't be very big at all, even in 32nd.

Thanks for tip, Michael. I got to say that sounds easier than shaping a piece of plastic! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Jake

Jake,

I used the CE GPS antenna, which I am told is WAY to big.

According to pics I've seen around (which isn't any better at showing the location than the ones before Smitherys post), the diameter should be about a third of the distance between the panel lines to the left and right of it. Smitherys pic shows the right position.

Here's a scan from the instruction

scan.jpg

HTH

:thumbsup:

Edited by hatchet
Jake,

I used the CE GPS antenna, which I am told is WAY to big. But here's the location info for you:

PERFECT!! Thanks!

Jake

Jake, wish I had pics to prove it, but I just removed the CE piece, and simply sanded a piece of the kit sprue to shape. Based on hatchet's "spec" of 1/3 of distance between PL's, it fits perfectly.

Just a thought.

After digging through some reference pics I took at a recent airshow, I discovered I've got a pretty good close up shot of the GPS dome. It's not the center of the picture, but it's a good view nonetheless...