Thinning tamiya enamels?

Best bets are plain water or medical alchohol. I prefer the alcohol (and no, I don't drink it!) but some prefer water - you'll see lots of both sides later in the thread...

Depending which airbrush I'm using, I usually add 30% to 50% thinner to the paint...

WB

If Laurens is talking about Tamiya's enamel paint, water or rubbing alcohol won't work. Wild Bill may be thinking Laurens has Tamiya's acrylic paint, and if so, his suggestions are right. Hope this clears things up!

Hi everybody,

nope, no acrylics this time, it's the hard cold enamel! I'd like to try this chrome silver and see what happens on landinggears etc.

Cheers and thanks

Laurens

Rusty, I don't think Tamiya's enamels are widely available in the US, if at all, but I know they are easy to get from Asian sources. BTW, I've never used the myself, so how do they compare to Testors enamels?

BTW, I've never used the myself, so how do they compare to Testors enamels?

G'day Drew,

Tamiya enamels are widely sold in Australia. Come in small square glass screwtop jars with plastic lids, have very fine pigments with a good range of colours. I have some part used jars that are possibly 16 years old. Tamiya X10E thinner or white (mineral) spirit will reduce the paint nicely for brushing or spraying. For winter or wet weather I will add a little lacquer thinner to 'heat-up' the mix.

By comparison to MM, it is a harder finish, less prone to handling damage, slightly egg-shell finish rather than dead flat, or a good gloss. Give gloss ample drying time.

It can be a real b*gg*r to strip if something goes wrong. ELO job usually. I have tinted MM (and Humbrol etc.) with Tamiya and visa-versa to obtain a particular colour.

HTH

G