i need help, icm mustang oob

ok here's the deal, having just got back into the hobby i am trying to explain to my fiance the desire,.. no need to increase my stash! which is difficult considering i have started two longterm builds(1/32 jets with scratch building) and she is wondering where the results of my labour are, i've tried to explain the time and effort needed for large projects to no avail. so to cut a long story short, today after going to the local hobby store and understandably buying an 1/48 Icm Raf mustang mk 3 (which was on sale i might add!) my better half threw down the gauntlet, she has given me a month to build my latest buy or she is banning me from buying anymore kits for 1 year!(not that i have that many to start with)

so not wanting to do a crappy job on such a nice little kit can anyone out there give me any advice on the kit especially on cockpit and wheelwell colours as the kit instuctions say a pale yellow is needed does this meen chromate yellow? also are there any references sites with pictures of Raf mustangs? any help would be greatly appreciated

I built that kit for the 2005 D-Day Group Build, nice kit, minor fit issues, cockpit is the bastard of tamiya and Accurate Minitures copied parts(go for TD aftermarket pit marked for the tamiya kit..about 7-8 bucks from squadron) if its any consulation the pit in the tamiya kit sucks too and also should be replaced. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't necessarily agree right out of the gate with the "86 the fiance" posts . . . is she actually serious? However, those comments are not without merit since if you're serious about the hobby, then she must understand. Of course, if it is or becomes a financial strain (And we all know that we can get carried away at times) then naturally prudence is called for.

You can get into the whole "Kits v shoes" or "Kits vs clothes" debate but hardly worth it because I believe that's a treating-the-symptom-and-not-the-disease approach or the corny "Better me building models than out boozing and chasing skirts" arguement, but the point is that a partner's hobbies/interests must be respected. Besides, any hobby a person takes seriously (Is that a contradiction?) will cost some money and time. Would she prefer that you take up golf? Want to talk about an expensive, time consuming hobby! Or fishing . . . rig and tackle (Ain't cheap), trips, possibly a boat, that all adds up.

Point is, if this is something you enjoy and it doesn't financially or time-wise stress your relationship, your lady should find this acceptable. If her problem is about you doing what some people consider "childish" or "playing with toys", then there's some convincing you have to do.

BTW, interior green for the cockpit, YZC for the wheel wells.

Well defending a hobby is one thing. I'm not necessarily a spring chicken but my mother thinks that building models is a child's hobby (note: one that SHE introduced me to at the tender age of 6, and aside from that she's pig-headed and won't believe anything that doesn't fit her mind-set). So there's such a thing as defending a hobby.. but I don't know about planning to build a stash. Either you have one or you don't. I don't. I don't see a need to. My "stash" has been less than 6 kits since I've started.. I build them, get more, etc, so I find no need for a "stash" per se. It's still just as costly... Or.. maybe less so... because I actually build everything, and don't just let it sit forever.

Frankly, introduce her to the hobby. Bring her in to it. Show her how you take the parts from the box, how you research how you want the final result to look, tell her how you might work on some scratch building on the way, and then show her some of the final products. All women *can* appreciate the effort. It depends on if this particular one *will*. Comparing it to other hobbies is flimsy at best, but may give an idea of the time and effort that goes into it. My sisters and mother used to all dabble in quilts. Lots of them. They still have some of their old quilts around today. It's a different type of effort, but no less demanding. It takes as much time as it takes to build a model (want an easy model/quilt, it'll take less time, want a complex one, it'll take a lot of time).

So I'd suggest you not get defensive, and you not try to convince her that you need this (as if you need her permission, I mean), but rather show her what you do and tell her that it's one of your passions, one of your hobbies, and that you hope she can appreciate it, too.

Hey dude just sit her down and have chat with her on how important it is to you just like how important she is to you. Or you can take her to the hobby shop and show her maybe she would understand. My other half actually knows what type of models I build or she will offer to pay for alot of my modeling expensences. So dude also try to explain to her if you rush it then it doesnt come out the way you want it.....GOOD LUCK bro

Well defending a hobby is one thing. I'm not necessarily a spring chicken but my mother thinks that building models is a child's hobby (note: one that SHE introduced me to at the tender age of 6, and aside from that she's pig-headed and won't believe anything that doesn't fit her mind-set). So there's such a thing as defending a hobby.. but I don't know about planning to build a stash. Either you have one or you don't. I don't. I don't see a need to. My "stash" has been less than 6 kits since I've started.. I build them, get more, etc, so I find no need for a "stash" per se. It's still just as costly... Or.. maybe less so... because I actually build everything, and don't just let it sit forever.

Frankly, introduce her to the hobby. Bring her in to it. Show her how you take the parts from the box, how you research how you want the final result to look, tell her how you might work on some scratch building on the way, and then show her some of the final products. All women *can* appreciate the effort. It depends on if this particular one *will*. Comparing it to other hobbies is flimsy at best, but may give an idea of the time and effort that goes into it. My sisters and mother used to all dabble in quilts. Lots of them. They still have some of their old quilts around today. It's a different type of effort, but no less demanding. It takes as much time as it takes to build a model (want an easy model/quilt, it'll take less time, want a complex one, it'll take a lot of time).

So I'd suggest you not get defensive, and you not try to convince her that you need this (as if you need her permission, I mean), but rather show her what you do and tell her that it's one of your passions, one of your hobbies, and that you hope she can appreciate it, too.

I agree totally with you on this. My stash is nothing more than 20 kits. To tell your wife/partner that you need a stash or to increase your stash is simply absurd. On the other hand, for your wife/partner to give you an option that she has given is also absurd, actually this whole thread is pretty much absurd. If you can't get along together in life, then perhaps it wasn't meant to be in the first place.

Cheers

Brad

If you can't get along together in life, then perhaps it wasn't meant to be in the first place.

Certainly agree with you there, but a relationship is a series of compromises, many of which dont' occur right from the get-go. Even love-at-first-sight or perfect harmony relationships rarely (If ever) exist without some sort of give/take (I suppose the real harmony comes from both parties willing to participate in such an exchange). Indeed, some things do need to be "Worked out" and one's point of view expressed to a hopefully listening partner.

Now if the partner ain't listening, and/or starts tossing out serious ultimatums, that's a whole bucket-load of problems.

Edited by f14peter