My sister bought me a japanese sea plane at nats, so now I want to at least do it in a proper water base, if not a full diorama. I have seen a few articles online about methods and products for modeling water, but figured this would be a really nice thread to have here as well, since there are a good many seaplanes that are built on here.

was with a helldiver in the coral? i rember something like it but you could just create the illusion its under water not?, i think that was what the modeler did anyway he hung all of figures as if they were swimming around the wreck and he made some bubbles come from there diving gear just like they would under water real cool and realy convinsing

greetz STB

ill try to look for it

I remember that one as well, but IIRC, this was a russian plane, maybe a Yak? He had thinned the surfaces and made the ribbing visible and the fabric all gone from the control surfaces, then build up "water" above it.

i can't find it now, but not too long ago I had seen a model of a wreck at the bottom of the ocean with water overtop. thought that was pretty cool too.

That fantastic diorama of the Zero by Jaroslav Galler can be found here. The use of the clear plastic material for the surface (is it Plastruct?) is wonderful.

I remember that one as well, but IIRC, this was a russian plane, maybe a Yak? He had thinned the surfaces and made the ribbing visible and the fabric all gone from the control surfaces, then build up "water" above i
This model is not nearly as good and does not have any pictures of the water "cage" that encloses it since my brother took the pictures with HIS camera and did not want to take them that way. This model is here. I used Plastruct to create a water surface but it is not in this article.

Yeah, great job on the Yak, that was the one I was thinking of, but aparently in my mind I have combined it with another model I saw. It was wreck on the bottom of the ocean but the modeler actually used some sort of resin or some such substance and filled in the whole thing, tinted and everything to make it look like it was deep under water. very cool, very realistic, my brain is just too full of cool models i've seen to sort out where i saw it, or aparently, even what plane it was!

Jay,

You've probably already seen the Dauntless diorama I did but I found the use of clear casting resin real easy and worth a go. The waves are made by pressing crumpled ali foil into the wet resin as it dries, then when it gels just remove it and hey presto great looking waves.

Cheers

Doc

post-45-1110070259.jpg

I remember that one as well, but IIRC, this was a russian plane, maybe a Yak? He had thinned the surfaces and made the ribbing visible and the fabric all gone from the control surfaces, then build up "water" above it.

Underwater Yak can be found here.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4...der/gal3333.htm

I haven't gotten it archived quite yet.

Steve B

ok but i still havent seen the one im was talking about ill keep on looking for it and i now for sure it was dauntless that the divers where looking at and it was laying on top a big coral if that helps

im off again to look for it i must find i just must. ooh and yes it does exist :lol:

greetz STB :cheers:

btw i realy like all the models displayed so far. :thumbsup::bandhead2:

edit ok i found one here on the board, not what i was looking for but close :lol: more to come when i find it

ZERO.jpg

its btw on this topic page

Edited by stusbke

Some guy uh... George Schmidt, in FSM Mar. 1999 did a diorama of the USS Munsee and simulated water with claycrete and paper mache (to simulate waves) and then airbrushed the thing. If you have the issue look at pages 44 thru 49.

OK GUYS I FOUND IT

this is the one im talking about it was here on the board in this thread.

normalp92805581jl.jpg

phew i tought i was loosing my mind but i got it :woo: :blink:

greetz STB :lol: µ

frederick jacobs

Edited by stusbke
Doc,

That ditched SBD, was that on display at Venture Hobbies in Wheeling IL?  I saw something very similar to that there.

Clarence

I very much doubt that Clarence,

Since I finished it earlier this year it has lived in my display cabinet here in the UK and the only people to see it have been here on ARC. I am told it is very similar to a Shep Paine diorama which had a Devestator not a Dauntless. I've never seen Sheps version and I would really like to.

A few more pictures of my diorama are found here.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr Fester

Hi all,

here's one that I found on carrier builders, it's meant for ships on the surface but should be good for seaplanes and floatplanes too. Best of all it's CHEAP and VERY SIMPLE!!

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/

go to the articles, scroll down to tools'n'tips and see creating realistic water.

hope this helps.

great new forum by the way.

Roy

Doc,

I didn't know you lived in England! :thumbsup: The one here in the Illinois looked a lot like yours, but it's gone now so I can't compare it to yours. Now they have a 1/32 USN F4 crashlanded in a Vietnamese rice paddy, with villagers looking at it. The F4 is all shot up and looks like it's been there a while. It's called "Tell us the story again Grandfather".

Ah, that is the one I was thinking of, shampoo, thats it! Hmm, prell maybe? I bet it would be fun to do one with clear resin, the kind that doesn't get hot that is, so you could shade it lighter towards the surface, sort of a plane crashed in a somewhat shallow bay in a pacific atoll or something like that.