Interior Green

Guest seanrgb4

Sean,

Interior green was a variable color; it was made at the factory by adding either aluminum or black to yellow zinc chromate primer. While there was a standard in how much should be mixed together; it obviously wasn't exact in practice.

Regards,

Murph

Guest seanrgb4

Ah cheers Murph

the reason for asking a guys doing one of these on a different forum

i noticed the green he was using was very similar to the humbrol 80

I just got the P40 off a friend and i'm itching to get started on her :)

what I find interesting, and slightyly OT, is that MM, which I use, has interior green and green zinc chromate as two different colors, with GZC being slightly brighter and a touch more yellow than interior green. In reality, they were the same thing as Murph said. I just use em as variations in GZC/Interior green that naturally occured in the mixing process, though I think technically, now that I actually ponder it, GZC is probably the color of zinc chromate mized with black and aluminum powder, as was the practice early in the war, while interior green was a later in the war color, after they had stopped using the aluminum powder. wow, what a ramble.

Curtiss cockpit green, a color mixed by Berry Brothers (a paint manufacturer) was their aproximation of interior green and it described as similar to interior green but slightly lighter and with a brownish hue compared to interior green.

Edited by jrallman

Pollyscale makes a nice IG shade, and it's easy to apply. I change the tone (it's to dark and green) by adding black then lightening it with white (essentially I am adding grey)..

Here is an thread on my Trumpeter P-40B that might help you with this model.

Regards,

--Frank My Trumpeter P-40B

Unfortunately, Humbrol seems to have discontinued 151 :o At least I haven't been able to find it at three different hobby shops..it's not just out of stock, the number isn't even listed on the paint rack.

I'm not sure where MM came up with thier "Green Zinc Chromate" color. I've never seen anything like it on a WWII aircraft.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Sean,

You can mix this color yourself. I use Floquil ATSF Yellow (my favored match for Yellow Zinc Chromate primer) and Floquil Engine Black. Mix these together in a ratio of 15 parts ATSF Yellow and 1 part black. Too light for your liking, add more black. Too dark, add more yellow. The mix will vary depending on the condition of the paint, age, amount of colorant, etc. When you have the mix you like, similar to the quoted Green FS595a 34151, paint a small piece of plastic sheet to use as a color card. You can then continue to mix the paint to match your card regardless of the condition of the paint or when switiching to new bottles. I mix a batch in a large bottle so that I only have to mix it every once in a while. You can use any yellow or black as long as the final color of the mix suits you. You can mix a lot of Interior Green when compared to buying a commercial pre-mix. I don't like the color of most of the quoted commercial matches for Interior Green.

Don