Well, here's the sprue:

swordfishsprue.jpg

Sadly no multi-coloured plastic in mine, it's a black box Revell produced kit. Obvious from the instruction leaflet - Revell style and colour call-outs! This kit is still part of the Revell catalouge and can be bought new. The mould must be pretty long in the tooth now, as my 1998 run has a fair bit of flash and some mould mis-alignment. Compared to the Revell J35 Draken I built earlier this year (which is a 60's kit) it's a stunning beauty though!

I have one problem, I bought the kit second-hand at a show and someone has helpfully enough removed the pilot figures from the sprue, but one of them has sneaked out from the box and escaped! I would normally never use it but the interior is extremely bare. Problem is, I have no spare figure at all, much less a match for the Matchbox guy. I have only reentered the hobby this year and all my Matchbox kits from my youth are long gone... Does someone have a extra figure to spare? I would be extremely grateful. I don't have anything to trade I think but I can do a photo walk-around of any of the aircraft featured in the list HERE on request. It's a standard RAF pilot I need (as a matter of fact I think he flew for all the nations in WWI, WWII and in between. Was he Biggles?)

Progress so far is giving the interior a fair bit of interior green, Hu 78. Brush painted, of course!

Contact made via PM and thanks a lot, again!

The rear pit has a quite big opening and without figure you can see right back to the tail.

I already dread the painting of the figures, I remember my childhood guys never looked particulary convincing...

Slowly making some progress while mainly working on another kit, a Hasegawa Zero. Makes for a nice comparison...

I put most of the big things together today, fit was good on the upper wing and not so good on the lower wing:

wings.jpg

And in the spirit of the GB I felt like a frustrated teenager again when managing to put my finger where it wasn't supposed to go:

goof.jpg

That shot also highlights the extraordinary thickness of the trailing edge of the wings...

Yesterday I also painted the engine with Humbrol Metal Cote, polished steel:

engine.jpg

I also did a little wash, I'm debating with myself whetether to drybrush some aluminium or not. Polishing the metal cote makes for natural highlighting anyway. The effect isn't clearly seen in this picture though.

• 3 weeks later...

At last SOME progress. I've been deadly swamped in work lately but this evening I got some modelling time. I've managed to paint the pilots when having five minute-breaks from work (that, and surfing ARC while compiling the project I'm assigned to).

A bad picture of badly painted pilots:

PA270114.jpg

No eyes (tried but gave up) on the pilots but I can't complain, it's the first pilots I've painted in about 17 years, and they turned out better than ANYTHING i did at that time.

And tonight the pilots got a home.

PA280141.jpg

Tomorrow the BIG amounts of filler goes on, the underside is going to need lots of it and there's some sinkmarks that would have done AM proud. In the background you can see part of the Hasegawa Zero I use for contrast while building this one. The detail is excellent on that one and I'm using a Zoom PE set from Eduard but the Stringbag got PERSONALITY.

(Edit: useless at posting, third time now and I hope the picture's right this time!)

Edited by Henrik B
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you Thommo, it certainly won't look as good as your SBC-4 however! Brush painting and white really doesn't mix. I am painting with #34 flat white, but did one coat with #130 satin and it seemed to cover slightly better but satin is more prone to brush marks. It's a bit of swings and roundabouts... Apart from the tedious painting it has been fun so far. Everything's filled and the wings have been drilled for the rigging. I realised that I should have put the holes a bit closer to the struts but you live and learn. This will be my first rigging EVER so I'm not expecting perfect results...

:cheers:-->

QUOTE(Henrik B @ Nov 21 2005, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Thommo, it certainly won't look as good as your SBC-4 however! Brush painting and white really doesn't mix. I am painting with #34 flat white, but did one coat with #130 satin and it seemed to cover slightly better but satin is more prone to brush marks. It's a bit of swings and roundabouts... Apart from the tedious painting it has been fun so far. Everything's filled and the wings have been drilled for the rigging. I realised that I should have put the holes a bit closer to the struts but you live and learn. This will be my first rigging EVER so I'm not expecting perfect results...

It'll definitely be a better color than the SBC-4 - blue & yellow - yeech! And your'e drilling holes for the rigging - I was too lazy and just dunked the ends in CA - I'm sure holes will give a much stonger job, but I have never been able to figure out the hole thing - do you drill right through then fill later, or just drill a bit on an indentation?

I drill the upper wing halfway through, the bottom wing is drilled all the way. I'm using the monofilament variant of the technique described here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52937 which I though was a very well-written and clear description. Can't tell you yet how good it will look, though. :wave:

• 3 months later...

OK, it was about a eternity since I posted progress... I'm an incredibly slow builder. Well, here's a pic that shows current status:

matchbox050226.jpg

To the right is the Swordfish (bet you couldn't tell!). The following remains:

*) Attach the rigging thread to the lower wing. All threads are attached to the upper, but it's done with invisible thread and in this picture it's REALLY invisible!

*) Putty the exhaust attachment and paint the cowling, then attach the lot to the nose.

*) Touch up with white

*) Wheels and torpedo.

SHOULD be doable in a month, I think!

I really don't know if it turned out better than yours (probably not) but I'm happy for my first ever rigging job!

rigging.jpg

The lines need to be trimmed on the bottom and I need to touch up with white, but it's nearly done and I didn't go insane. Slight mishap with one thread though, it came loose from the upper wing and it looks rather slack now (furthest away from the camera). Otherwise the self-locking tweezers worked well in keeping the thread taut whille dappling away with the superglue.

Home stretch now!