Airfix gossip, TSR.2 and Nimrod.........

Mmmm. Nimrod. An open, detailed bomb bay, options for MR.1, MR.2 and R.1, fuselage split vertically, and each half one full-length moulding. May evem be separate flaps. There will be BOZ pods, a Wescam turret and Sidewinder options, and if the detail is as good as the TSR.2 mouldings I was playing with this evening ( :worship: ), phenomenally fine engraved detail.......Humbrol should be re-releasing their "Authentic Colours" Hemp for the release as well. Get your preorders in for this kit. Airfix will count up all the preorders on a to-be-decided date, and only make that many........Get in line behind my 4.

TSR.2 is looking great. Single piece upper wing, beautiful engraved detail, separate wheel wells, with moulded detail, bomb bay detail, and will come with a nuclear "shape" to pop in it. Did I mention I touched it? :lol:

Edited by reddeathdrinker

Hi Reddeath, your post is a bit mixed. I assume you are talking about the Nimrod when you refer to getting pre-orders in by March so that Airfix can set the production numbers as the TSR.2 pre-orders have been closed for a while now and last I hear Airfix were steadfastly sticking to their 10,000 production run limit on that one.

The Airfix TSR.2 you held, is it the 1/72 scale resin mockup they had at Telford or have test shots started to appear? Last I heard Trevor Snowdon was off to China to proof the first real test shots after Telford.The one at Telford next to the 1/48th scale engineering mockup was reputedly the Heritage kit that Airfix had there for scale size comparisons as people apparently were having trouble visializing how big the TSR.2 is in 1/72.

And why ReddeathDrinker as a user name? Been wanting to ask that for a while...:)

Cheers

Tony (ex-P3 Orion Fixer)

Hi Reddeath, your post is a bit mixed. I assume you are talking about the Nimrod when you refer to getting pre-orders in by March..............

Yup, you're right. It's the Nimrod I'm talking about. I'll edit my original post to make it clearer.

The Airfix TSR.2 you held, is it the 1/72 scale resin mockup they had at Telford or have test shots started to appear?

The TSR.2 fuselage is the injection moulded one, with the final resin corrections on it, and some of the test sprues of parts, including the wing, undercarrige, tailplane, fin etc. Actual Airfix plastic :)

And why ReddeathDrinker as a user name? Been wanting to ask that for a while...:)

Well, all the good names were taken. I was looking at a can of McEwans Export at the time (also known as Red Death, due to the can colour). I tried RedDeath, but there were a lot of RedDeaths about, so as I was drinking it as well, RedDeathDrinker was born.........

I will also sneakily tell you that Airfix have asked for a quote for a run of the TSR.2 in 1/48 scale......no answer has been given, or decision been made. It may never happen.

I will also sneakily tell you that Airfix have asked for a quote for a run of the TSR.2 in 1/48 scale......no answer has been given, or decision been made. It may never happen.

If they wanna make mega-bank they will. That has got to be one of THE most asked-for non-production planes out there.

-Jeremy (who, for the time being, will be happy with the 1/72 TSR.2 his best friend is helping him get)

Edited by Skull Leader

Thanks RDD. I will not hold my breath on the 1/48th scale version though I can say now that I will buy as many of those as I can humanly afford if it comes out.

See, no smilie. Dead serious about that.

As you have seen some test sprues, can you say how much of the very accurate wheel well detail seen on the 1/48 scale resin prototype has made in into the 1/72 scale plastic? Any idea how detailed the cockpit will be? I am sure someone will launch a thread just after it is released asking when a resin cockpit will be issued by the usual suspects but some of us actually prefer a nicely detailed plastic cockpit as a base to work on.....plus with the canopies shut you will see naff-all of the rear cockpit anyway.

And thanks for the details on the Nimrod. I have ordered two of those as well. As our traditional foes in the Fincastle Trophy, I have to have one to park next to a P-3 model....:huh:

Cheers

Tony

Where can I order it...Hannants won't take any more!

Tom

I went to Hannant's last night after reading your post and pre-ordered the Nimrod and got an email confirmation of my order.

One will do me fine, in fact it will be the only 1/72 scale kit in my collection, have to have it though as I live close to RAF Kinloss and see them flying nearly every day.