CF100 Wing droop?

Does anyone know if the CF100 had wings that droop slightly towards the tips. I'm working on a Hobbycraft kit and both wings have the same droop. With the large wingtip tanks this almost seems reasonable to me when the aircraft is on the ground. Is my imagination working too hard? Should I start the straightening procedure without delay. Would appreciate any input on this.

I don't have my references with me but these photos should help:

CF-100 Mk.5

CF-100 Mk.4

The Mk. 5 had an extension on the end of the wing giving it a longer span than the Mk. 4, plus a longer span horizontal stab and the first photo seems to show these having a slight drop compared to the rest of the wing.

Edit: The Mk.5D (the ECM a/c) had the longer span horizontal stab of the Mk.5 but the shorter span wing of the Mk.4.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton

Here's a Mk 5 mounted on a pedestal here in town. Hard to tell in this pick but it seems pretty straight to me. It wouldn't be hard to picture the wings drooping though with a full load of fuel in the tip tanks. Are you working on the 1/72 kit? I built one years ago, and the wings were warped badly. I had to order a replacement sprue from Hobbycraft and even those were slightly warped, but fixable.

charliearsenaultcf100.jpg

The Mk. 5 had an extension on the end of the wing giving it a longer span than the Mk. 4,

Edit: The Mk.5D (the ECM a/c)...but the shorter span wing of the Mk.4.

Cheers,

Sean

Reason for this is that the wing extensions were bolt on items and could easily added on or removed. It wasn't just the Mk. 5Ds that had the short span wings, but it appears most surviving CF-100s had the extensions removed. (ASU bird, P&W bird, even some Mk. 5s in storage.) I believe this is because the tip tanks could not be fitted when the extensions were fitted.

Jim

Anyone ran across any photos of the CF-100 that is supposed to be being restored (is restored?) at the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton Ohio? I've heard it's done, but haven't seen anything more about it. They're terrible about giving any photos or updates on their website.

Anyone ran across any photos of the CF-100 that is supposed to be being restored (is restored?) at the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton Ohio? I've heard it's done, but haven't seen anything more about it. They're terrible about giving any photos or updates on their website.

It's finished, and on display in the Cold War Gallery. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to get a good photo of a shiny silver airplane in a dark room. Here's a shot of the main l/g:

It's out I took a picture of it last year.

Mike

cf100.jpg

It's out I took a picture of it last year.

Not the 'greatest' photo, but she's pretty nonetheless! (stupid black painted hangar!... what possessed those nimrods to do that after the Modern Flight Gallery was so much better with it's white interior??!! :whistle::nanner: )

Thanks for posting the pics Mike and Randy... much appreciated! :thumbsup: