Airliner shots over my house

The weather has not cooperated for trips to Bradley, but there are some shots over my house...I live about 8 miles off the end of the most used runway. The sun was just about to set and finally came out about an hour or so ago. These are all at 300mm zoom.

First - 2 Southwest 737s back to back

Nice shots Ken, I have to get myself a decent digital SLR, up until recently I had both an Olympus OM-20 and a Minolta XG1 35 mm SLR (I sold the Minolta to a mate a little while back) I was bought a Vivitar digicam that has proved great for snapshots, and all the in progress shots that I've posted here but it does have limitations.

I very rarely use the SLR these days as I've got used to the convenience of the digital camera and can't be bothered with the old 35mm SLR's now, especially as I don't go to F1 GP's anymore, but I do fancy having a go at aviation photography.

Do yoiu recommend the Nikon ??

Nice shots Ken, I have to get myself a decent digital SLR, up until recently I had both an Olympus OM-20 and a Minolta XG1 35 mm SLR (I sold the Minolta to a mate a little while back) I was bought a Vivitar digicam that has proved great for snapshots, and all the in progress shots that I've posted here but it does have limitations.

I very rarely use the SLR these days as I've got used to the convenience of the digital camera and can't be bothered with the old 35mm SLR's now, especially as I don't go to F1 GP's anymore, but I do fancy having a go at aviation photography.

Do yoiu recommend the Nikon ??

thanks Ant - this is my first Nikon, as I have 2 Kodaks (all the pics on my site were taken with the DX6490). My friend Mike Stephens has been a Nikon guy for ages, and helped me. I spent well over 6 months of serious research and price comparisons. I know Canon is very comparable, and many guys use Canon (like Jake Melampy), but I have no experience with them. But so far, yes, I recommend the D50. Both of my lenses are Nikkor (Nikon) - a 18-70mm and 70-300mm.

I still use my Kodak for pics of my in progress shots of my models as I am concerned about having the DSLR around my work bench, and the Kodak is still fine for that. There are examples in the In Progress forum under CF-18B.

Check out Roger's site www.fencecheck.com for great info.

Cheers

Ken

The only drawback to a DSLR is their ability to make your money disappear. :blink: You always seem to want a new lens. That lens is of course expensive.

You also have to figure in the accessories. A flash, a tripod, a fancy bag or backpack to keep all the stuff in.

Not that I'm complaining. :woot.gif: I love my 20D, but it sure does seem to eat my money.

Nikon...............sheesh. :woot.gif:

I'm joking, of course. I'm sure the quality is pretty similar with all the major brands.

I bet that trigger finger of yours is getting itchy!!

Jake

Nice test shots Ken. Isnt it addicting? I still my SLR for static aircraft, as slides are nice to have also.

Have fun!

Jeff

thanks Jeff, it is addicting as I know from my Kodak, but even moreso now

The only drawback to a DSLR is their ability to make your money disappear. :beer4: You always seem to want a new lens. That lens is of course expensive.

You also have to figure in the accessories. A flash, a tripod, a fancy bag or backpack to keep all the stuff in.

Not that I'm complaining. :thumbsup: I love my 20D, but it sure does seem to eat my money.

Well I need to get some use first out of these lenses, but I do need to get a bag, and Mile Stpehens game me a big tripod.

Nikon...............sheesh. :cheers:

I'm joking, of course. I'm sure the quality is pretty similar with all the major brands.

I bet that trigger finger of yours is getting itchy!!

Jake

It is getting itchy, and the weather has been lousy for even practising on airliners

then an USAir Airbus which naturally was before the 737s

Ken that is an EMB-170 or EMB-175. It's a new jet manufactured by Embraer of Brazil. :thumbsup:

Edited by Super Hornet 88

Ken,

With those silhouetted shots, if you especially shot in (NEF) Nikon's RAW format you could probably bring up some detail by going into the software provided and playing with the exposure compensation on your P.C. Even if you shot JPEG you can stil pull up some detail but not to the exact level of degree or margins.

Anyways practise, practise, practicse, shooting and on the computer to get better control over your image qualities.

Enjoy your new camera. Once you start shooting with a DSLR you will find that you will not likely go back to a film camera.

:blink:

Nice shots Ken.

It's a 170. The Embraer 170 is a very nice jet in terms of passenger comfort. I've been on a few in recent months. Pretty sharp looking too.

thanks Joe, I see the EMB170s quite a bit, but thought they were Airbuses....

Ken,

With those silhouetted shots, if you especially shot in (NEF) Nikon's RAW format you could probably bring up some detail by going into the software provided and playing with the exposure compensation on your P.C. Even if you shot JPEG you can stil pull up some detail but not to the exact level of degree or margins.

Anyways practise, practise, practicse, shooting and on the computer to get better control over your image qualities.

Enjoy your new camera. Once you start shooting with a DSLR you will find that you will not likely go back to a film camera.

:worship:

thanks Les - it does have a RAW setting, but have not used it yet. These were on JPG Fine. I'll keep working it - I have not shot film in over 2 years as I have had my Kodak DX6490 for that long.

Ken, I've had my 20D for slightly over 1 year and shot 13,500 images thus far. Way too much fun! bill

Bill...wow! Like David said, those last 2....:rolleyes: I can get close to the runways at BDL in a few locations, but it's been cold, windy and/or snowing here lately, so not the best conditions to go over there.

Thanks all,

Ken

Edited by Ken Middleton

Jason 1/2000 at f/8 on my 20D

Glad you guys enjoyed the shots. Digital has really brought the fun back to shooting. No more roll film hassles, frame counting, etc. I will admit it is not quite up to shooting a slide with K25 but the lack of hassles

and the ability to shoot whatever I want without having to find film and mailers makes it close.

bill