I'm in need of some help here...please. I've seen a photo of a Chinook in gray, now for the life of me I can't seem to find it or any info on it. I would like to do one of the Trumpeter's 47' in a gray color. I'm sure it belonged to the Air Force but not 100%. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the subject or send me in the right direction. Thanks guys,

Joe

Those are 160th birds, and they only wore that scheme during test for about 2 weeks. The Nightstalkers hated it from what I've been told (directly) and so they went back to black. You should see the two-tone blue scheme they had for the Little Bird. Talk about ugly!

You should see the two-tone blue scheme they had for the Little Bird. Talk about ugly!

;)

That just doesn't sound right, blue-schemed Little birds? I noticed that that Hook had a two-tone gray scheme vs the single color gray scheme from a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Alby

:D

That just doesn't sound right, blue-schemed Little birds? I noticed that that Hook had a two-tone gray scheme vs the single color gray scheme from a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Alby

The MH-60K is the same Kilo that was shown on airliners.net in a photo taken in Knoxville, TN in the summer of 2003. These new photos were claimed to have been photographed at China Lake in October 2004. So either the guy who shot 'em and posted is wrong, or that wasn't a two-week trial. Don't forget, those "were not" MH-60As painted gray on that platform from the late 80s. ;)

Edited by Trigger74

Thanks for the replays guys. I was able to find a few sites on the new mysterious gray Chinook., and it did belong to the Air Force. It's the new Boeing HH-47 Combat Search and Rescue helicopter that was proposed to the Air Force.

http://www.boeing.com/ids/airforcesystems/...X-2_375x300.jpg[/img]

More infomation here.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2006/q1/060303c_nr.html

http://www.boeing.com/rotorcraft/military/hh47/index.html

http://www.sflorg.com/aviation/av120705_01.html

Over the years of painting Helicopters in green and blacks, I'm finding that I like doing them in grays. To me thay stand out a little more, detail wise. Even if the new Air Force Chinook doesn't get approved I may still do one. That's if I'm able to get more photos.

Edited by Helo_Dud

Sorry, but that's not an actual HH-47. That photo from boeing.com is a re-touch job. It's a good one too, but the color value and saturation is uneven and you can see the edges of the re-coloring. It's also devoid of any markings. Even demo aircraft have a s/n or something on them. And, AFSOC gray is 36118 and that gray in the photo is way too light, looking more like 36270.

And the earliest documented public appearance of the gray Chinook was Summer 2003 in Knoxville, Tennessee at McGhee-Tyson. It was part of a trial conducted by the 160th into new paint schemes (see Cobrahistorian's earlier post). We weren't supposed to know about the gray Chinook and Black Hawk from 2003, but hey - they're the ones who stopped over at a civilian airport, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. These new photos were alleged to have been taken at China Lake in October of 2004.

2003 and 2004 - in either case, that's a long way off from the CSAR-X demo from last fall. Considering the MH-47 and HH-47 will be virtually identical, I'm sure Boeing "borrowed" an MH-47 from Kentucky to demo it to the Air Force (without repainting it) and this re-touch is part of Boeing's campaign for it to the Pentagon leadership and Congress. So to date, the gray Chinook is still Army.

If you're going to build an HH-47, build an MH-47 kit and instead of overall Helo Drab or Flat Black, hit it with Gunship gray and decal it with black Air Force stencils. Look at the existing Pave Hawks for an example. Cold beer says that's how they'll look.

The MH-47 was used for the CSAR-X demos last fall at Nellis were Army OD green. The proposed USAF version will be the HH-47G and who knows the color at this piont since the CSAR mission is back in Air Combat Command and no longer in Air Force Special Operations. So I know the gray looks cool but it could be three tones of gray, or who's knows at this point ..only ACC knows for sure.

Edited by ccrqw602002