Hi everyone here is a teaser of whats to come!!

i am scratchbuilding a U.S.A.F bomb loader/ drop tank loader in 1/32 scale because no one does any 1/32 ground equiptment.

i have used my graphic skills that i am learning at school and changed them to my style (messy) :worship:

these are the plans for the model and i have used drop tanks off my f-16 and the pilot to try and get the right scale, it is near enough exact. :lol:

here are my plans:

bombloaderplansjamesarnold1zf.jpg

(my good hand writing :lol: )

And here is the actual bomb loader:

bombloader3vu.jpg

I am making it so that it could be assembled if it was a resin model, so i shall dry fit all the parts to see what it looks like and if it is good enough i will reproduce it to sell.

i shall make a mold so that i can reproduce them for differant diorama's anyway :)

Thanks

James :cheers:

Oh well,its a hard to find kit isn't it?

i have searched for it on google and found 2 articles on it,it doesn't look particually detailed and it isn't very accurate, but we'll have to wait and see how mine turns out lol.

it could go horribly wrong yet! :rolleyes:

Thanks

James :thumbsup:

Edited by James Arnold

hey james, if you need molds made, i can help with that part. i've got a casting/mold-making kit

i've been making copies of hard to find resin details...:woo:

for the record, Verlinden also made a bomb loader...not sure which scale though :mellow:

Well, Best of Luck :thumbsup:

Edited by AnthonyWan

Hi Anthony, verlinden do make a bomb loader but it is 1/48 and is not accurate. :banana:

it does not have the fuel tak or what i think is the fuel tank and isn't 1/32.

as you can see here:

14271av.jpg

mj1weaponsloaderedit9py.jpg

Thanks Anthony for the resin casting help if i need it! :banana:

James :banana:

Edited by James Arnold

Yes that's the fuel tank. They run on jet fuel. Whenever we'd unload a pylon we had to drain the fuel out of it, just a little bit in the plumbing, using a bucket and a contraption made from a fuel probe and piece of hose, commonly referred to as a "donkey dick". The fuel went right into the jammer's tank. The MHU-83 is a little bigger and much more versatile, you can lower the boom to raise the front end and expand the front wheels directly to the sides, helpful to clear obstacles when loading. It also has more controls for better positioning via hydraulic power.

The drawings look decent, I look forward to seeing the end results!

Edited by twahl

:D Remember KMC or Kendal Model Company anyone??? They did the weapons loader MJ-1 in 1/32 scale with a figure to boot. Might try posting a looking for sign on Marketplace. Also if you are doing a late WWII scene or early Fifties diorama they also did a Clark CT-46 Tractor.

Hope this stirs somebody to part with their stash of these trinkets.

Mike

Hi Anthony, i think i'll make both because i am going to do a hangar for my f-16 also i am going to have another building storing ground equiptment so i can put them in there and it would make my diorama look better, plus if i did start making resin moulds for them and then reproducing them and selling them i would have more products!

Hi Mike, they did do one and here it is

johnw.69.jpg

johnw.68.jpg

johnw.67.jpg

It isn't that accurate and this one looks a bit tacky to be honest.

And they are hard to find!

Oh well,its a hard to find kit isn't it?

i have searched for it on google and found 2 articles on it,it doesn't look particually detailed and it isn't very accurate

Thanks guys

James :D

(i think i might just do a whole USAF ground crew set and have the power cart, weapons loaders, amunition loader, tow trucks...)

There are at least two types of MJ-1s, the first MJ-1 had a standard transmission with the gear shift beside the driver's seat just aft of the fuel cap. While the MJ-1A has an automatic transmission and brakes on the front wheels. Some MJ-1As have the smaller fuel tank as well as the flat engine lid like on the MJ-1.

Jari

Hi twahl, would a mhu-83 happen to be one of these

bombloader57va.jpg

I was thinking of doing one of these but it looked a bit difficult but i am planning on doing one in the future!

Thanks

James :lol:

Yep, that's the critter.

For what it's worth, we had some of each at Langley when I was there from 87 - 93. I would think that other bases would have them mixed as well. I was back shop weapons, so most of the time equipment was brought to us in the shop, so the ground equipment wasn't something I used daily. We did remove and install the stuff if it happened to be coming due around the same time that the jet it was on was going to be in phase dock, but it always seemed like a hassle to us. We felt like we'd gotten conned into it or something! Anyway, like I said it's quite possible that you'd find either or both types on any given base.

Edited by twahl
and this one looks a bit tacky to be honest.
:woot.gif:

Care to ellaborate on that comment?

The model was made by me and the image taken from Skywriters web site without permission! :whistle: Whilst I appreciate constructive comments I would like to see your own better effort!

Being quite honest about it I built it without any reference and straight from the box. Some of us who actually build models enjoy the build aspect and are not too bothered about accuracy when its the only game in town. Added to which I would rather spend time building aircraft and not taking too much time correcting this model which for me is good enough!

Rant over

John

John i didn't mean your painting or anything like that i meant the kit looked a bit tacky like with where there should be straight edges they're quite bumpy and stuff like that. The kit doesn't look very good, i wasn't commenting on your skills.

I think the model would of been nice if it ws a better kit! <_<

Thanks

James :crying:

John that kit actually looks a nice kit and the lines do look straight, it must of been the resizing of the photo's. :o

And the phot's of the finished model look alot and i mean alot nicer in those pics!

My kit will go together simillar to that.

Siesta3 that is nice scratch building, i can't wait to see more! <_<

KursadA and everyone, sorry about what i said about the KMC kit, just in the phot it looked out of shape.

Thanks

James :crying:

Edited by James Arnold