Okay guys here's the completed Bucc. As it's my first aircraft kit i had plenty of grief making it, so you'll all know where the mistakes are!! criticism is welcomed!ba2252da.jpg

e8b9be92.jpg

5c6e6e45.jpg

5187033e.jpg

Ta for looking

Jay.

Edited by jay

That is one great looking model :lol: makes me want to go and start a Bucc right now! Though I haven't actually got a kit of one, would love a new mould in 1/72 scale.

The only critique is that although I like high quality pics it would be nice to compress them slightly more, I'm only on dial up and the page took a long time to load.

very nice. and you say its your first aircraft. wow!

you can improove the glass-effect of the canopy if you dip the glasspart into future. then you put it into a dust-free box and let it cure. the other advantage you will have is, that superglue will not leave any residues if you glue the glass with it.

i really like the grass. looks like many leaves on it. great.

cheers klaus

ps: you should stick to aircraft. seems you have got the right hand for them.

Thanks all,

Klaus, i did dip the canopy in future and it left it with a lovely glossy sheen, unfortunately i didn't leave the thing under cover so some dust has settled on it (maybe a quick dusting before taking the pics would have helped???)

Hi Mick it's an airfix 1/48. with model alliance decals (highly reccomend)

Cheers

Jay.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, very much appreciated!

yes Bill i'll bring it to the next meeting for a full group critique :thumbsup:

Now on with my next project a 1/48 bmf ee lightning (should be 'fun')

Jay.

It looks pretty good to me. It even bears up to the higher magnification of your close up shot.

The only thing I notice, unless I'm unaware of some characteristic of Bucc aerodynamics, is that the weathering on the outer wing panels looks as if it's slanting in toward the fuselage as it streaks back over the wing. It doesn't look as if it's in the airstream direction.

It looks pretty good to me. It even bears up to the higher magnification of your close up shot.

The only thing I notice, unless I'm unaware of some characteristic of Bucc aerodynamics, is that the weathering on the outer wing panels looks as if it's slanting in toward the fuselage as it streaks back over the wing. It doesn't look as if it's in the airstream direction.

Hi Greyghost,

That may be a ***** up on my part :blink: , but i noticed that the 'stubs' (no idea what they are called) on the leading edges are angled in towards the fuselage so i gussed that the air flow would be forced in that direction as it passed over them?? if anyone can enlighten me i'd be grateful. (not that i can change it now anyway)

I know Bill, their a good bunch at the club and i'm looking forward to the next meeting.

Jay.

I think that Jay has this about right "GreyGhost". The Buccaneer was a very advanced aircraft - it had to be- given the requirements for a heavy airframe to be launched off the small FAA carriers, flying under eneny radar at 200 ft (and less) at 550 knots.

The engineers at Blackburn used "Boundary Layer Control" (BLC), basically the shiny metal leading edges on the wings bled hot air from the engines over the wings - thereby giving more lift and stability (handy if flying over the North Sea at mach 0.98 at 50ft!!). The wing Vortex Generator's (Jay's "stubs"!!) forced this hot air inwards (A feature on many aircraft).

Airstream direction on the Bucc may therefore not seem all that it was!!!

Cheers Bill very interesting info!! I'm just glad i didn't make a great ***** up!

Jay.

Scrolling through a few pictures of Blackburn's finest....here's a good-ish view of the effect the wing Vortex generators have on the "Brick's" wing - its a fairly clean (otherwise) camouflaged S2, but the effect of the grime being washed inward's by the airflow is fairly apparent.....

Brick's Wing....

I must admit Bill, it was total guess work on the weathering over the wings, i know from pics in a nose art book that i have, that these things were pretty filthy (oil stained, scratched etc) but those wing vortex generators ( cheers mate!) were at such a strange angle they must have created some 'turbulent' air behind them, therefore creating the right conditions for weathering to take place.

BTW i never thought to look at that site..........tis been added to my favs.

cheers

Jay.