Earlier this week I bought two 1/48th scale Kopro kits; the Su-17/22 M-3 and the Su-22 M-4R.

I also bought two Neomega resin cockpits as well as a Linden Hill (LH) decal sheet (Fitters over the Panjshir Valley) and a Propagteam (PPT) decal sheet (48102).

My plans are to build an Afghan Fitter and a Russian Fitter from the War in Afghanistan.

The PPT sheet offers markings for an Afghan Su-22 M4 c/n 39204 (coded 804) - an aircraft in which its pilot defected to Pakistan.

The LH sheets offers markings for 5 Fitters from the War in Afghanistan, some M-3s and some M-4s. One of the aircraft I like the most on that sheet is an M-4R that carries a large recce pod with a shark mouth. If I am going to build this one, I will have to build the M-3 as an Afghan aircraft.

My question is: Did the Afghans operate the Su-22 M-3 (searches on the internet haven't convinced me). If so, can anyone point me to reference pictures of Afghan Fitters?

Also, is there anywhere I can find pictures of Su-17 M-3 'Red 26' of the 136th IBAP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

AFAIK, Su-22 M-3 have only been delivered to Hungary and Libya. In fact, you have a Su-17 M-3 kit, not a Su-22 M-3. In the later, the rear fuselage section is wider because the engine's different and bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks for your replies.

I guess I'll just build a Soviet M-3 and an Afghan M-4 then.

Now, if only I could find some refence pictures of Soviet Fitters in Afghanistan...

Regards,

you got my email, right? :P

The DRAAF operated small numbers of Su-22m3s, though m2 and m4 models were more numerious. from the serials it appears these were perhaps soviet AC left behind by for the DRAAF or supplied at a later date, as M3s occupy the upper serial range of the 321st fighter bomber regiment, with the later m4 varients wearing earlier numbers, which is odd.

Su-22m3s standard scheme consists of a 2 tone camo scheme of a pink/brown and mid-light green. Exeption to this rule is the M3 at bagram which was origionaly a russian fitter and 'moded' into draaf roundels, the profile for this can be found on Avmias site. though serial will need alteration

Roughly 7 m3s have survived in some reasonable condition: 1 at mazar, 3 at bagram, 2 at shindand, 1 at khandahar. there is a split between red and white serials, notibly the bagram machines carry red serials. Draaf roundals of '804' will be fine for a M3.

my first m3 (with goofball serial)

a17wt.jpg

840 at shindand

dwf151787996tn.jpg

origionaly russian

sukhoisu22m3b7zn.jpg

Bagram

pict00416jl.jpg

Mazar

58650493p33101515ec.jpg

another view at mazar:

mazaresharif071jv.jpg

another

146716995fqwqthph7js.jpg

in return, I was wondering if you can help me out with soem L-39 pics?

Regards

Raymond

Edited by Raymond
you got my email, right? :P

The DRAAF operated small numbers of Su-22m3s...

in return, I was wondering if you can help me out with soem L-39 pics?

Regards

Raymond

Thanks a lot Raymond! No, I haven't received any e-mails from you. :(

Could you please re-send it?

Perhaps I should go for an Afghan M-3 then. I will have to study the pictures further to find out which one to build. Right now I'm battling with the wings (not a great fit on the Kopro kits). Your model looks good btw.

I wish I had had the chance to go see and photograph some of the derelict aircraft in Afghanistan. I did see a couple of Hips (don't remember where) and I also saw some tailfins here and there but I had no good photo opportunities. Only chances I got were at KAIA. I will dig out some L-39 photos for you and send them in my reply to your e-mail (just be aware that the quality might not be the best in all cases).

Regards,

hiya!

ah ok, ive fowarded to ur admin@amarc account, contains a 1mb sampler of Afghan fitters, though ive postest all the m3 content here.

Personaly i think an M-3 woudl be cool! 804s kinda been 'done' and would be great to see something different.....ive got more shots of 840 at shindand...not a complete walk around, but anothr 5-6 photos to work with if needed.

jsut recently ive scored some more photos of an M4 fitter similar to 804, but wearing a 2 tone brown scheme...the pics arnt great, but ive got enough to piece together an idea of how to paint it....

...then theirs the kabul airport gate guardian!! got too many photos of that one! :P

cheers with photos! :(

regards

Raymond

Ray, these pictures are not "inspiration", they are depressing! <_< If I'm gonna be building a polish M4 pretty soon (and I am), I need pics of Fitters turning and burning! (and no, not burning to the ground! :) )

Ray, these pictures are not "inspiration", they are depressing! :) If I'm gonna be building a polish M4 pretty soon (and I am), I need pics of Fitters turning and burning! (and no, not burning to the ground! ;) )

Airliner.net has quite a few nice pics of Polish Fitters

And you can find excellent detail shots of theme here:

http://www.lotnictwo.isp.pl/su22/index1.html

If you can get hold of a copy of the magazine Aeroplan issue 5/6 '02 (, it has a wealth of info including details, colour schemes and a CD with even more details and photos of each Su-22 in the Polish AF

Davide

Thanks a lot Raymond! No, I haven't received any e-mails from you. ;)

Could you please re-send it?

Perhaps I should go for an Afghan M-3 then. I will have to study the pictures further to find out which one to build. Right now I'm battling with the wings (not a great fit on the Kopro kits). Your model looks good btw.

I wish I had had the chance to go see and photograph some of the derelict aircraft in Afghanistan. I did see a couple of Hips (don't remember where) and I also saw some tailfins here and there but I had no good photo opportunities. Only chances I got were at KAIA. I will dig out some L-39 photos for you and send them in my reply to your e-mail (just be aware that the quality might not be the best in all cases).

Regards,

Su-22M3s were also delivered to Hungary and Peru.

You can find a link to Peru's Sukhoi here

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0891...=0891162&size=L

Sorry, don't know how to make it shorter :)

Davide

Hiya Jen!

just checking u got my email? ;)

heres a su-7 i posted over on KP

Hi Raymond,

Yes I did - thanks a lot. I have just sent you a reply with a couple of pictures attached.

What's KP?

Regards,

What I could find via Google was that Afghanistan was using the Fitter C.

The Fitter C is Su-17M with downgraded avionics. Later they also recieved Su-22U/UM 'Fitter-E' and Su-22UM3/UM3K's.

28_2.png

you can find it here

Cheers Evert

Edited by EWZ
What I could find via Google was that Afghanistan was using the Fitter C.

The Fitter C is Su-17M with downgraded avionics. Later they also recieved Su-22U/UM 'Fitter-E' and Su-22UM3/UM3K's.

Hiya!

heres a break down of recorded types in afghan service:

Su-22 - most common next to m4s

Su-22Ms - fairly rare

Su-22m3s - 1 ex soviet machine found

Su-22m4s delivery as early as late 70s, by far the most numerious

for 2 seaters ive only ever seen one in the su-22 aerofax? book serial '69' (if someone could provide a scan i woudl be extrememly greatfull <_< ) IIRC its a 22um3k, never seen any 22ums thoug

Regards

Raymond

Edited by Raymond
Earlier this week I bought two 1/48th scale Kopro kits; the Su-17/22 M-3 and the Su-22 M-4R.

I also bought two Neomega resin cockpits as well as a Linden Hill (LH) decal sheet (Fitters over the Panjshir Valley) and a Propagteam (PPT) decal sheet (48102).

My plans are to build an Afghan Fitter and a Russian Fitter from the War in Afghanistan.

The PPT sheet offers markings for an Afghan Su-22 M4 c/n 39204 (coded 804) - an aircraft in which its pilot defected to Pakistan.

The LH sheets offers markings for 5 Fitters from the War in Afghanistan, some M-3s and some M-4s. One of the aircraft I like the most on that sheet is an M-4R that carries a large recce pod with a shark mouth. If I am going to build this one, I will have to build the M-3 as an Afghan aircraft.

My question is: Did the Afghans operate the Su-22 M-3 (searches on the internet haven't convinced me). If so, can anyone point me to reference pictures of Afghan Fitters?

Also, is there anywhere I can find pictures of Su-17 M-3 'Red 26' of the 136th IBAP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Where were you able to find a 1/48 Kopro SU-22? I've had no luck finding one so far.