VFA-105 Marking Question

I have a quick question on the colors for the stars and bars on the VFA-105 CAG bird (F/A-18C Modex 400). I have the Superscale sheet for the 400 bird and the instructions say the stars and bars below the canopy on the sides of the jet are in full color: Red White and Blue. While the insignias on the wings (upper and lower) are in the low-viz gray. The only problem is some sheets I have seen show full color for all four, and some show color on the sides and gray on the uppers and lowers. The other problem is I can’t find any reference pics of this jet from the top (only sides)!

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight or information that could help me out.

Much appreciative,

Dave

:D

All 4 of the national insignias are full color, and I'm sure SS probably got it wrong. They have a reputation for not getting things right, so I'd say your best bet is to go with Cutting Edge's VFA-105 sheet of the a/c.

Edited by VF-103guy
Cutting Edge missed some details as well. There were markings on the speedbrakes of both 400 and 401 that no one has included.

Remember, every decal manufacturer makes mistakes................remember?

Dave

How right you are Dave. I forgot about the speedbrake markings..

Guess I'll get back to Tomcats.. :cheers:

Cutting Edge missed some details as well. There were markings on the speedbrakes of both 400 and 401 that no one has included.

Remember, every decal manufacturer makes mistakes................remember?

Dave

Dave,

Do you know what was on the speed brakes? I can't find any photos of it.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I can just use the other two color insignias that were designated for the other aircraft on the top and bottom wings, instead of the two gray.

Mr. Roof, if you can post pics of the speedbreak, or at least tell us what the text says, that would be great. I have some blank decal paper that I could probably make the markings if they are not too complicated. That would be great! :D (sorry, just had to use this guy).

Thanks for all of your help,

Dave

Dave,

Do you know what was on the speed brakes? I can't find any photos of it.

Mike,you remember when VF-32 and VFA-105 were at Incirlik while we were there?One of the Hornets was the CAG bird.Wished I had my camera at the HAS but I think security would have frowned on that :P

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

I stand by my statement about Superscale.

I have a number of their 1/72 sheets, that not only have errors, but have the infamously poor Superscale painting diagrams. I still purchased them as they are the only options for said subjects.

But your last statement is like the pot calling the kettle black.

The other pots don't go pointing out the colors of others. Even when the others are just as black.

To continue to slam one and not the others is quite unfair. Especially when one of the slammers just recently had to do a correction for one of their sheets that had incorrect markings on it. Not quite right is it?

Put another way, Dave's statement might have been said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" so to speak. Oh, but what do I know about anything? I still use crayons & stickers and I haven't taken the training wheels off my bike.

The other pots don't go pointing out the colors of others. Even when the others are just as black.

Put another way, Dave's statement might have been said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" so to speak. Oh, but what do I know about anything? I still use crayons & stickers and I haven't taken the training wheels off my bike.

I'm merely stating my opinion from a consumer stand point.

And for the record, when we found the mistake, I made it public, we corrected it, and I paid for it out my own pocket.

How so?

You're a decal manufacturer. Your opinion as a consumer of decal sheets ended when you released your first sheet.

Which is great and you and the rest of VF Decals should be applauded. However, it doesn't change the fact that a mistake was made and it took a correction sheet to fix.

This will go nowhere fast, so I am done. Hope your skin is as thick as a Hasegawa Decal.

Love Ya Bro!

Dave

Ok, Ok....I see your point.

Sorry we had a tiff, and my apologies to SS.

Say, do you mind if I get a glass of water to wash down this foot I have in my mouth?